Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Carb Rebuild Help Please

I gave my son-in-law my old 72 Ford 250 camper special. Over 10 years ago I put a rebuilt 390 engine in it with a holly 4 barrel. It always ran great and was my work horse for many years. But as I bought new trucks she had found herself in my back yard setting for about two years. So I was happy when my son-in-law took an interest and wanted to make this his new project truck. We dumped the old gas and put in new, and started her up. She idled fine but as soon as you put her in gear she back fired and cut out. We decided to rebuild the carb. Unfortunately neither one of us had any experience doing this. It was evident once we got into the carb that a rebuild and good cleaning were needed. Once we put the carb back in we could get it started, but it sputters and backfires and won’t hold an idle. What adjustments should we be making and how. His buddy said we should try timing it first. Do you need to re-time when you rebuild a carburetor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you buy the correct kit for the carb, the instructions (though very basic) get you started in the right direction. Hollys usually take some tinkering though.

Did you soak the hard parts in carburator acid while you had it apart?

I wish I knew more about them, but mine is soooo basic (Holly 2110).

It's a 80457-1 (3167)? At least that is the numbers on the carb. We used desiel fuel to soak and clean all the parts.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Diesel isn't so good to clean.
Get a gallon paint can of B12 chem tool cleaner and soak that carb for a day or so..
Also check all your vacc lines going to and from your carb and manifold, I had a problem like yours when I got my truck when I was a kid, the old iron manifold had rotted and there was small holes in it, also make sure you tanks don't have any rust get a clear inline fuel filter and see if any crud is getting in to the carb rusty fuel will cause hell in a engine and mimic all kinds of other problems, I see you dumped out the old fuel but if the tanks had any rust in them you could have knocked it loose...

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
There is some nice stuff there, but I would just get a quick fuel carb :) theres enough bells and whistles on those carbs you can tune them until you barf..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts