Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Car Battery Life

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I realize this question has a lot of variables but is there a general consensus as to how long a car battery stays viable?

My understanding is that 3 years under normal usage should be expected but any sign of trouble after that should lead to replacement? It is the original battery from the factory.

I ask because I consider my truck usage "normal" usage (2007 F150). It is my daily driver and I have no "extra's" hooked up drawing power. Last night I drove 22 miles down to get my kids and parked in the parking lot waiting for the grandparents to get there with them. Parking lot was really dark so I left my lights on so it was easy for them to spot me and I was listening to the radio. Waited about 10 minutes and they got there and I turned the lights off. Got back in the truck a few minutes later and no start.

Just because I hate the idea of being stranded somewhere I am going to replace my battery. I guess I want to know if you guys think there may be something wrong or if it is just that my battery is nearing the end of it's life.

Thanks

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I always bought into the 3 year thing as rule of thumb for battery replacement. However, as of lately, it seems like a week after my warranty runs out is the appropriate time for replacement. I will say though, I've always had great luck when I could afford Motorcraft batteries, generally 5 years worth of use...and that's survived vehicle swaps, fried alternators, pretty extreme abuse, etc.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Have you ever had the battery get completely discharged Aaron?...eg..left lights on and killed it?....if so just doing that even once will compromise the life of it. 3-5 years is typical of starter battery life provided it is maintained and not abused.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
No never left the lights on or had a no start except what happened last night. And not a single issue today. Started strong everytime

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Makes me think a ground got knocked around then.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I usually buy the batteries with a five year warranty, and don't trust them after that. It seems that 3 years on a battery is a bit short. I've had batteries go the full 5 years with three teenage kids with lights left on, doors left open, dome lights left on, etc, etc. Have also used several different brands: Interstate, Walmart, Costco/Everready, Motorcraft, Diehard, and others.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I have batteries go bad in a year and needing replaced then the next one last 6 years.
The one in the car is 9 years old original battery and when I load test it it still shows good.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Per the lifetime of the battery, how many of you check the date for how long it's been sitting on shelves before you buy it? Personally, I think that could be the cause of a lot of premature battery failures. Hell, if a battery has a 3-5 year life, but it's been sitting for 2 years, you can't expect to get the same from a battery that's been sitting for 6 months, can you?

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Hmmmm...Does...My tuner will test batt volts and Amps (I think) through the OBDII port. Will that tell me what I need to know, or do I need one of those cheese grader looking things randy posted up?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If it tells you volts, IIRC you should be right around 14.4 for a healthy battery. But I'd still wanna bring that thing in for a load test, most parts stores do it for free.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Well after last night I checked the volts and while driving homeand it said 14. I don't remember if it had a .4 or not.

I am going to check for the green dot and date tonight if I can see it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Idealy, 14.4-14.6 is what you want...might be a tad different in you're year rig, I haven't really dablled, so I dunno. But if you're registering 14.xxx I doubt that's enough to raise a question.

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
Just remember that just because it is reading 14.xxx with the engine running doesn't always mean the battery is taking the charge. I say just test the battery.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
The battery in my rig is a 2-year Everstart that's been expired for about a year. Works perfect.

However, Goose is right. the only way to really know is have it load tested. Take it to O'reilly or AutoZone or something and they'll do it for you.

My battery seriously is that old. I'll probably have to replace it this winter though...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts