Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Can't get truck to start

I have a 1997 Ford F-150 4.2 v-6. I changed the battery and starter a while back, maybe 3 or 4 months. Lately my truck won't start every once and a while. When I turn the key I hear no clicking or nothing. All of my lights still work and everything. Like today I started it and it started fine. I went back to start it about 5 minutes later and it didn't start.

Thanks

blacksnapon

Staff member
I have a 1997 Ford F-150 4.2 v-6. I changed the battery and starter a while back, maybe 3 or 4 months. Lately my truck won't start every once and a while. When I turn the key I hear no clicking or nothing. All of my lights still work and everything. Like today I started it and it started fine. I went back to start it about 5 minutes later and it didn't start.

Thanks
Have you got a manual trans? Possible clutch switch. Automatic might be neutral safety switch (while trying to start, wiggle the shifter or move to neutral).

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Check your connection on the firewall on the pass. side. there should be three main blocks of connectors make sure the 10 mm bolt is tight that holds them together.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
Ill second the nuetral saftey. My shifter bushings are worn in the linkage (auto) and i haft to pull the handle up to get it to start, where other times it will just start no problems.

I meant to "fix" that while i ahd the column out...:headbang:

kevin9

New Jersey Chapter member
no start

check the small wire down at the starter while it doesnt start if you have power down there then you have a bad starter.check that small wire connector very carefully they are notorious for corroding and causing no starts intermittently

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts