Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cabin Chassis?

Stoner Dan

California Chapter member
So, I ordered a brand-new hitch for my '74 Super Camper and finally had a few hours today to mount the damn thing. Been a month since it was delivered overnite (free shipping) from JC Whitney, so you can imagine how happy I was to finally get to it today.

And, as some of you might already have guessed, it was too wide for my frame! By 2 inches! Talked to the tech guy at Curt (nice guy) and he said, "Oh, well whatchoo got there is a 'cabin chassis.' Call JC Whitney and tell 'em you need PN blah-diddy-blah and that you talked to me and you've got a cabin chassis and you need to exchange it."

Of course, I'd never heard that term before and it also makes me wonder what else I should know about this particular model. I mean, why is the frame 2" narrower than a regular truck of the same year and class?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Tell him its for a 4wd 250 its the same width. What hes talkin about is a cab and chassis which is a dually without a bed or a Ford flatbed.

Yes Cab and Chassis...not cabin chassis.

So, I ordered a brand-new hitch for my '74 Super Camper and finally had a few hours today to mount the damn thing. Been a month since it was delivered overnite (free shipping) from JC Whitney, so you can imagine how happy I was to finally get to it today.

And, as some of you might already have guessed, it was too wide for my frame! By 2 inches! Talked to the tech guy at Curt (nice guy) and he said, "Oh, well whatchoo got there is a 'cabin chassis.' Call JC Whitney and tell 'em you need PN blah-diddy-blah and that you talked to me and you've got a cabin chassis and you need to exchange it."

Of course, I'd never heard that term before and it also makes me wonder what else I should know about this particular model. I mean, why is the frame 2" narrower than a regular truck of the same year and class?

Bwahahahaa. I wonder if he's related to Aunt Gina & Johny

Stoner Dan

California Chapter member
OH SH1T!!! HAHAHAHA! Gawd, don't I look like the dumbass?!?!? OK, cab AND chassis it is. That's typical for me: thought the guy on the phone said 'cabin chassis' and when I repeated it back to him, his slight accent made it sound like that's what he said.

So, I get why the frame would be narrower on a dually, but why would a cab-and-chassis setup be necessary for a factory 4x4 or a SCS? Only thing I can guess for the SCS is a little more clearance for the side-mount spare, but is that right?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Cab and chassis was a 2wd only thing and were one ton duallys. They probly just wanted to use a frame they already had instead of makin a new frame just specificly for the SCS. Id send that one back and tell him you want one for a 74 F-250 4x4 and itll be the right width.

My truck is a 1979 F350 4x4 Cab and Chassis. It is not a dually. It was basically just a truck sold with no bed.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Tell him its for a 1973/77 High Boy 4wd 250 its the same width. What hes talkin about is a cab and chassis which is a dually [confused] without a bed or a Ford Flatbed.
1985 Ford F150 said:
Cab & chassis was a 2wd only thing [confused] and were one ton duallys. [confused]
:rotz: (sigh) Where on earth are y'all comin' up with this nonsense?

SRW or DRW (DRW: F350 only), 2WD or 4WD, F350 or not has nothing to do with a truck being a Cab & Chassis!

F100/F150/F250's and F350's w/SRW or DRW were all available as a Cab & Chassis, 2WD or 4WD (1979 F350 w/4WD, no F100's w/4WD after 1976).

All 1953/79 F350's w/DRW were only sold as a Cab & Chassis or with a factory installed Platform (Flat Bed), or Platform & Rack (Stake Bed).

> > 33 1/2" rear frame rails (behind the cab): 1973/77 F250 4WD (High Boys) & 1973/79 F350's on the 140" wheelbase. < <

37 1/2" rear frame rails: All other 1973/79 F100/350's.

And...various years F100/350's were also available as Open Drive-Away's. These trucks have no cabs...or beds...were sold as a Chassis and Windshield or a Cowl and Windshield only.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm Bill's northen comment verifier.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Hi, I'm Bill's northen comment verifier.
You typed 57,000 + posts on FTE, and I've typed (as NumberDummy) 33,000 + posts.

So far, here on FTF, you've typed 4,374 posts and I've typed 1,160.

How many posts have we typed clarifying these subjects on both sites? HUNDREDS!!!

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts