Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cab swap question

Hey guys I'm in a jam and need a quick yes or no answer. Will a 1975 F100 supercab swap with a 1978 F150 supercab? I'm looking for a new cab and just found one. I'm pretty sure it will but wanted to run it past y'all right quick.

Thanks!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yes..........

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Not a problem. The cab will physically fit. I'm not familiar with F100's, so worst case scenario is some drilling might be needed, maybe some adjustments to body mounts.

Make sure you transfer the warranty plate on the cab you are removing

or

simply put the 78 door on the 75 cab

I'm not sure why I can't find this thread on my comp. I statrted KT from my phone... Maybe that's it. I just got the donor home and it's a sin that I'm gonna use it for parts. It's a pretty slick old truck for it's age.

The VIN is F10HKJ8313

Edit: I found it. Too much caffeine hinders what little grammer I do have.

Last edited:
Make sure you transfer the warranty plate on the cab you are removing

or

simply put the 78 door on the 75 cab

Why do you say that? This thing is going to be a frankenstein of a truck with parts from several donors. I was thinking the title followed the cab and no other numbers really mattered.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
For the most part, the DMV will just make sure the VIN on the door matches the title, however it should match the VIN on the frame...I know some states are really particular about this. Not to mention, it'll look funny when your license plate number no longer matches the VIN.

Oh. Thanks for looking out for me but AR won't verify the vin. As long as the title mat he's the cab I'm good.

Bolts holding the cab on are the four main ones in the corners and then two more kinda above the front ones in the wheel wells right?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I think there is just the 4 that hold the cab on...you can see the 4 bushings in this pic:

79_Truck_0281.JPG

Thanks for the picture! It wont be any trouble so I'll pop off the vin tag before the scrappers come pick it up in the morning. It took us all day to tear one down. We pulled the fenders and grill as one three sided unit. Pulled the cab and sat it in the floor, pushed the donor out in the parking lot and in the morning we do the same to my truck. Hope to have it bolted on and be able to drive it by sunday... That may be a stretch knowing the way things go for me though.

Well I got the swap done as far as the cab goes. Now I'm chasing a rabbit in the dash trying to find where all the plugs go and vacuum lines go (my least fav part). I should have a pic to post in a few min if photobucket will act right

Looks good. I'm thinking of doing something similar to mine. Found a donor cab that's in much better shape than mine, but don't know how much they want for it, or if it'll still be there when I'm ready. I have quite a bit of rust in the floorboards, the rear corners, and two big dents in the roof that were repaired badly with bondo that are rusting out. Keep us posted how it turns out with the wiring and vacuum stuff.

Well I knew my bad luck would bite me in the butt haha. I lost a few bolts that I need and if any of you guys have a parts rig sitting around and you dont need the bolts I'm needing I'd be glad to buy them off of you.

Under the hood right behind the hood spring assembly (if that is what it's called) there are three long bolts with nuts that go through the inner fender and attatch the mount that holds the cab to the fender. I need two of them with the nuts.

I also need two of the long bolts that go in the mount that holds the fender to the cab. I swore this time I wasnt going to lose anything, heck I had TWO sets of the dang things and some how lost a whole set and then some.

The junk yards around here dont have older trucks and so I'm at the mercy of what I can dig up online.

This is the setup on a truck that comes with a canopy/topper

Yep thats them!! The second photo is the best view of the fender bolts/nuts I am talking about. To the left of the hood spring are 3 bolts in a triangle pattern and they have nuts on the other side. I need those and to the left of those three are the bolts on the very edge of the picture. I need those as well.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts