Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

cab Corners

I need to replace the cab corner on the right side, it is banged up really bad, everything is solid, but the truck had some body work. It would be hard to perfect that area so I want to install a cab corner. What is the best way? I have been told to weld over the existing one or cut out the old one and weld into it's place.

What have people done and what has worked?

I'll be back on Sunday... spending the 4th in Northern MN on the 800XT!

Dan

I've done it two ways. 1) Cut out cab corner about .75" smaller all the way around than the replacment panel. Drill a series of 3/8" holes all the way around in the cab metal then plug weld replacement panel from the inside. Smooth out with body filler on the outside. 2) Cut out section the same size as replacement panel and weld flush, tacking to prevent warpage. #2 is easier but #1 will give you better results and this is what I prefer.

Yes, I like the sound of #1. I haven't looked, but I assume you come form the bottom or inside.... maybe you can tell me a little more detailed.

I'm glad I posted the question.

Thanks

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
My buddy who did mine left a small edge like the #1 option and then used a flange tool in order to create a recessed flange for the corner to be glued down. He said many body shops are going to the glue (for small panels especially) to eliminate the risk for metal warpage and less work after with bondo. I am impressed how they fit.

Yep you're right Buck, it would leave a better surface. However, I dont have a flange tool and I dont do it often enough to justify buying one so I go the other route. Like Rick said its not much of a lip so I dont mind smoothing a 1/16" or less of filler over it.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
My buddy who did mine left a small edge like the #1 option and then used a flange tool in order to create a recessed flange for the corner to be glued down. He said many body shops are going to the glue (for small panels especially) to eliminate the risk for metal warpage and less work after with bondo. I am impressed how they fit.

smiliewhathesaid
Thats the easiest way to do it works great and very little filler needed. the glue squeezes out and smooths it out to near perfect when sanded.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Yep you're right Buck, it would leave a better surface. However, I dont have a flange tool and I dont do it often enough to justify buying one so I go the other route. Like Rick said its not much of a lip so I dont mind smoothing a 1/16" or less of filler over it.

I have seen them work, but have never used one myself. For a small job like cab corners, I don't know if the justification of buying one would be enough either. They aren't that expensive, but you are right, if using them only once, why have it. I think your #1 option is about the best thing without using one of the flange tools. You wouldn't get the heat build up from that like you would with a complete seam weld. After grinding down the welds, there shouldn't be that much bondo to be used.

Ford Truck Articles