Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

c6 tranny ?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I know of some online places that build custom ford trannys and custom adapters you could check them.
I would have to respectfully disagree Mr Brain about the AODs.
I have talked to many racers and Hot Roders they have used custom AODs behind many big block ford engines all the way up to nearly 900Hp, but a stock aod would be chewed to hell and gone after awhile.
Give these guys a call they can tell you every thing you want to know.
http://www.ford-aod.com/
http://www.transmissioncenter.org/
A tranny is not some thing you don't want to go cheap on a poorly rebuilt like the ones you get at the auto parts stores I would stay the hell away from them.

Fellro

Staff member
Still, unless you can find an adapter, no AOD will bolt to an FE. Factory,t hey did not hold up too well, but the aftermarket rebuilders know how to make them last or go broke, so they tend to build them right.
As for vehicles to get a C6 from (no C4 was built to bolt to a FE) you cang et them from 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, but there are differences in tailshaft length, so be aware of that. Cars and some of the trucks had long tailshaft housings, while 3/4 4wd (divorced case) and some 2wd used the short tailshaft. Galaxies, Fairlanes, anything that had a 352, 360, 390 or 428 CJ used the C6. I don't recall many 70's cars running FE's, and no light duty trucks past 77.5

ya i have a spare 390 out of a 64 i beleive thunderbird and 3 ford o matic trannies im not useing i think if remember right the 390 i am using is out of a 65 galaxie im not sure what the guy told me anymore

ya it is i dont really have a use for any of it since i want a c6 and dont have another project for the second motor so i figured id sell it to fund the project or trade for stuff if do need for the truck

There is one company that makes the C4-AOD to FE aluminum bellhousing. The name escapes me but they sell on ebay. They used to be $500. Not sure how they are priced now. I can find them if interested.

ok so i went with one of my coworkers on lunch in his 65 mustang which is cherry and he has a muncie 4 speed and it made me second guess the decision to make the 55 an auto does anyone have sugestions i know its up to what i want to build but i still like to know what the more experienced would do thanks

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
It is purely personal preference, of course, but I have no use for automatic transmission in hot rods. (Or in pickup trucks, sports cars, economy cars, luxury cars, lawn tractors...you get the idea.)

*Depending on how you plan to use the truck and what motor you're going to run, a T-5 from a Mustang (or S-10 Blazer) might be a good choice for a manual. They can't handle big V8 power, but they're pretty easy to come by.

ok so i went with one of my coworkers on lunch in his 65 mustang which is cherry and he has a muncie 4 speed and it made me second guess the decision to make the 55 an auto does anyone have suggestions i know its up to what i want to build but i still like to know what the more experienced would do thanks

I prefer a standard, if I can can get one as well. I do not know how hard it would be to find a top loader 4 speed for your truck. Since yours is not going to be a work truck..I would avoid the truck 4 speeds from back in the days of the FE. They had a granny first gear that you would never use anyway.

Automatics are good for family cars, but that is about it.

As far as the later T-5s...depends on if they would bolt up to your 390. I have no clue if there are adapters or not. I know they put them behind Y-blocks, but someone takes the stock Y-block bell housing and adapts them for that application.

With that being said...I have an automatic in my 01 explorer. I was not able to find one with a standard at the time.

i have a 390 big block that im planning on building, does any c6 tranny fit it? i see some on craigslist saying they are small block c6 and ones that are out of 4x4 with a transfer case attatched. does the c6 fit both big and small blocks or are they different trannies? how about the ones out of the 4x4 does the transfer case just come off and its a regular c6? i know these are gonna be dumb questions to you guys but im still learning and dont have a lot of people to ask. thanks fellas
Depends on the bellhousing if it had a big block in there before most likely will fit if it had a small block you will probably have to find a big block bellhousing.

Fellro

Staff member
Did you not read any of the thread? We discussed this, and the only trans that will fit on a FE motor is one with an FE bell. 460 , 400 and 351M share a bell, and the 300, 302, 351W share a bell, none share with an FE.

Ford Truck Articles