Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

buying a boat... tech help please!

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Looking at buying a boat... always wanted one, and the neighbor has a good looking one...
Looks about 70s vintage... bayliner, maybe 20 feet. has a merc i/o setup- looks like a gm iron duke 4 banger... says 120 hp on it. Guy says he hooked water up to it and ran the engin but dodoesnt know if the outdrive is good. so my question is, why am I even considering buying a boat, and how do you test a merc drive unit. also,any other problems I should look for would be apreciated.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If it sinks there is something wrong with it :p

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
He has had it for like 10 years and mever used it... kinda a collector of things that would be usefull to someone less lazy than him. he doesnt want much money for it though...

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I have never wanted to or considered owing a boat. Surprisingly though I am somewhat jealous of them. Good luck with your purchase.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I own a boat and know what it means.
Bust Out Another Thousand.

I'd rather just have a friend with a boat.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
For the price though, I am seriously tempted...

So how does the drive work? Can you just start the engine and rev it up and see if the thing works?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Pretty sure you can fire it for a very short while without damage to see if it runs...it's been a long time since I've been around marine engines....I'm pretty sure they rely on lake/ocean water for cooling though.
Check the wiring..the last boat I had the pleasure of working on needed a complete rewire.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If you do something rash and buy it.....and it does need rewiring....if you bring it here, I will do it for free...seriously.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I'll have to get my f250 out of storage before I even consider a trek to a fellow Ford owner

smilieFordlogo

Thanks for the offer... Hope I won't have to take you up on it...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I know it's a haul...but the offer is there if you want..and trust me, it will be done to a high standard :D
If it needs minor stuff...I can help as well.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm just a happy passive Canuck that likes to help :D

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
As stated in here before, the two happiest days in a boat owner's life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it.

My dad used to take his small FORD-powered boat out into Chesapeake Bay all the time. The boat sank and he had to swim to shore. He never got in another boat.

Ford Truck Articles