Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Brought home a 77 F250 4x4!!!

FTF'er
I've kinda always wanted one of these...

The seller said it's a 77.5 F250. It has the hi-pinion disc brake front. The body is rough, but I was just looking for a work truck anyway, and I may find a good body some day to swap on it.

It has a 460 with a C6. He said it has DOVE-C heads, which he acted like were something special? I know nothing about 460's. It also has a new Carter 750 AFB carb on it. I didn't hear it run, but he said it ran strong. The trans is shot and partially disconnected/removed, so that's why we couldn't start it. One of the things I like the most is the cool nut that holds the rusty Edelbrock air cleaner on!

The axles have 4.11/4.10 gears. He said the rear was limited slip... but I see no "L" on the tag...?

Can anyone tell if that is a Saginaw pump?

Here's some pics, it's not much, but I like it...

IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0112.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I think after a good bath that thing will shine!

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
Cool mang, can't really see the pump in the picture, but it it has a metal case than it is probably a sag. pump - the bracket doesn't look like it from what I can see, but like I said hard to tell from that angle.

That's scary buyin a truck without hearing it run, did you know the guy?? Hope you got a good price on it!

And congrats on the purchase, any plans for it yet?

FTF'er
Craigslist deal, so I didn't know him. I think he's being honest though... seemed like it anyway.

Plans are to get it put back together and drive it for a while, then maybe swap the axles into our '96 Suburban and put the 460 in something else.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah I can't really see the PS pump in that picture. But if it's a saginaw then the reservoir should be shaped like a teardrop:

20-6159.jpg

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
dove heads are good but not super great. there also kinda hard to find. double check the casting numbers. whats puzzling to me is it shure looks like an early 77 but if its got a hi pinion that would make it newer. any evedence of an axle swap at some time?

FTF'er
dove heads are good but not super great. there also kinda hard to find. double check the casting numbers. whats puzzling to me is it shure looks like an early 77 but if its got a hi pinion that would make it newer. any evedence of an axle swap at some time?

It's so dirty/greasy under there that it doesn't look like anything had been done for quite a while.

I'm gonna have to research the casting numbers and where to find them for the block and heads, and learn the dowel rod method for measuring stroke to see if it's a 460 or 429. I've done it for the FE engines, just not the 460's.

I'll have to wait until I get the truck in the garage or for a warmer day before messing with it.

Sorry buddy, not to hijack your thread, nice find btw , but how long and wide is your trailer?
It's about 76" wide and 16' long... just the standard cheap utility trailer.

Are you wondering how it fit? We were using a backhoe (in the dark at night) to push it up on the trailer, but the tires wouldn't go between the rails. Then I had a bright idea... use the backhoe to lift the front of the truck, then back the trailer under it and lower the truck onto the trailer. It worked, then he lifted the back of the truck with the front bucket and pushed it the rest of the way on the trailer.

Each lock out hub and tire touch the rails...

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

FTF'er
From memory, the steering pump is round. It's not like the pics posted above. At least it's not that POS plastic thing.

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
the casting numbers on the heads are easy to find, there between the exaust maifold and the valve covers. easyest way to tell if its an early or late 77 is count the drive shaft's 3 shafts = early 77 2 shafts = late 77. the 3 shaft trucks will have one between the trans and t-case

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
It's a 77.5, the front spring perches match my 79 250.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Looks solid. I like the air cleaner nut, too.

460 isn't original to a 77.5 though, is it? Would have been a 351M or 400 when it left the factory, right?

I went to look at a 77.5 F-250 for sale once....but it wasn't quite that nice. ("Body good, runs good" ended up meaning "some body parts may be repairable, engine could run if you figured out what's wrong with it and fixed it.")

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Looks solid. I like the air cleaner nut, too.

460 isn't original to a 77.5 though, is it? Would have been a 351M or 400 when it left the factory, right?

Yup, 351m or 400, or the 300 six.

bigun72

XLT= Xtra Loud Truck
then maybe swap the axles into our '96 Suburban and put the 460 in something else.

why would you wanna tear a dentside apart? [confused]

btw nice find.

Ford Truck Articles