Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Brakes won't bleed

I cannot get my brakes to bleed out. I have replaced the lines, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, proportioning valve, and calipers. I also re-painted my brake booster assembly and in the process may have mixed up some parts from my 1979 2WD F-150 parts truck. I'm wondering if the plunger in this assembly that pushed against the master cylinder may have something to do with my problem. Does anyone know if these plungers could be interchangeable? Also, I see it is adjustable, does anyone have the correct length that it should be for a 1977 F-150 4x4? This is getting very frustrating! Hopefully my pictures upload.

Attachments

• brake plunger.JPG
  • 460 left.JPG

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
There is a spec for the length of the adjuster, I'll have to look and see if I can find it.........................

thanks that would be helpful. If I push the pedal all the way down, I just barely get a pedal, so I'm thinking it is too short. I've been fighting this since last fall. Brakes are kind of important! I have 42's on it with a 460 so I need some braking power to slow it down.

Attachments

• 1977.JPG
I suggest you swap in the F350 dual diaphram brake booster.

to understand what you have I need the stamping numbers off all your mechanical brakes parts

Pedal stamping
Pedal assembly stamping
Power booster number

Different years have different pedal assemblies and different pedal.. they have different length pushrods and they have a different fulcrum position

Last edited:
I know I kept my original pedal assembly because the parts truck was an automatic... I can't remember which booster or parts I used, this is going back about 2 years.. Let me see if I can find some stamped numbers on it. It would be so nice to get this resolved, as you could guess!

The numbers are located in the BB just below where the MC attaches.

There are so many different boosters you probably installed the wrong one

Just get me the numbers from it

I'll probably need the build date of the the truck and does it have cruise control or not ?

OK --

Looks like the part number on my brake pedal is

D7TA - LA
PWR BRK
5 9 77

The linkage from the pedal going through the firewall has #23 on it.

I'm having a hard time making out the BB number, I make out a 12?05 The BB may have a possible 618A on it as well. I pulled the BB off and tilted the numbers in light. Of course I painted it with an etch, epoxy primer, with urethane top coat.

As for my parts truck - the BB is clearly Bendix 12305, and the linkage piece has E 27 on it. I know it had A/C, not sure about cruise control. I can't find the steering wheel.

On my punch card from when the truck was built, it was taped under the dash, I see F 14HY81538 7334 A which I assume is the VIN #.

If you think it would be beneficial, I would be happy to call you and discuss this further. My email is [email protected].

Let me know what you think!

Do you have skype ?

if so click my skype icon, I will be around for a while

Your application should be 12296 or 12300

The pedal stamped LA is for a 78-79 Pwr brake

or for a 77 250 M/T with Pwr brake

Yeah... not sure where to start now. I thought about trying the other BB, but they seem to have the same number. This is driving me nuts! Maybe I need to make a trip to the junk yard! Maybe I can get lucky and find a bee's nest under the dash!

Take a close up picture of the booster where the MC attaches

It's Possible........

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts