Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Brake troubles

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
As soon as I got my truck I Replaced all of my break lines on the whole truck, besides the ones that T on the rear axle (still in decent shape). Anyways my truck has always had a soft break peddle and I have properly bled ALL the brake lines. Well when I when to drive drive my truck today the break peddle went almost all the way to the floor and other times it feels normal! But my breaks still work fine?? I also checked out every brake line and connection and nothing is leaking? So its it my booster on its way out? Or something else. BTW my truck DOES NOT have ABS. Thanks

andym

Real men are fanatics
A bad booster can never cause a soft or low pedal. Your truck has rear ABS, but not front ABS unless you removed the system.

Sounds like your rear shoes need adjustment. Do you know how to do this?

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
A bad booster can never cause a soft or low pedal. Your truck has rear ABS, but not front ABS unless you removed the system.

Sounds like your rear shoes need adjustment. Do you know how to do this?

oo ok i didn't not know that... Do I really have rear ABS? Considering there is no ABS sensors on the rear wheels? But there is a little motor on the frame rail that the rear break line goes through. So I guess your right. *UPDATE* I also forgot to mention that sometimes when I hit the breaks all of a sudden they will grap really hard and it will jerk the truck. Could this be that ABS motor messing up? And yes I am pretty sure I know how to adjust the breaks but please tell me what exactly needs to be adjusted. Thanks

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Considering there is no ABS sensors on the rear wheels? But there is a little motor on the frame rail that the rear break line goes through. So I guess your right.

The ABS uses the speed sensor in the middle of the axle.

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
*UPDATE* I also forgot to mention that sometimes when I hit the breaks all of a sudden they will grap really hard and it will jerk the truck. Could this be that ABS motor messing up? And yes I am pretty sure I know how to adjust the breaks but please tell me what exactly needs to be adjusted. Thanks

andym

Real men are fanatics
You should... Mine is right behind the air box.

To adjust brakes, block the front wheels, jack the rear wheels up in the air and put the tranny in neutral. Use jackstands - never lay under a vehicle supported by a floor jack alone!

With a screwdriver, find the slot in the backing plate for the rear brakes. It's at the bottom of the plate. If you stick a screwdriver in there, you'll find a starwheel that you can move, one click at a time, to adjust the shoes. The wheel will click both ways, but one way will be much harder. Spin the starwheel the 'easy' way with one hand while turning the tire with the other. You'll hear the shoes drag around the rim. When the shoes lightly drag all the way around the wheel, stop. Do the same to the other side.

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
You should... Mine is right behind the air box.

Ya I do not have that ABS motor near my air box (I know EXACTLY what you talking about cuz Ive seen it on bronks truck). So maybe i don't have ABS?

And ya that's exactly how I was gonna adjust em, but does this explain my peddle being really soft and then going back to normal??

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
AndyM nailed it. If adjusting up back brake does not help it may be booster or master ( what was wrong with mine. )

Michigan
Are you loosing fluid in the master cylinder? If so then i would say its that leak out back, if not then a master cylinder would be my guess...

andym

Real men are fanatics
What leak?

*All* 1987 to 1996 F-series pickups had rear ABS. When you turn the key on, is there a light on the dash that says "Anti-lock brake"? :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts