Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

brake light gremlin.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Sup' FTF'ers been having a hell of a brake light issue with my 79.
It's seems simple enough, it keeps burning fuses like a boss I've traced the wires from the lights to the fuse block and can't find a reason for it no cracks burnt spots rub through i've replaced the switch and still pops the fuse, heres the crazy thing I watched the fuse while the truck was running and was hand operating the peddle and when i let the peddle go the fuse melted .. Could the wire be getting juice from another source?
Thanks for any help y'all can give.

It's 106 here again today so i think i'm going to go hide until the sun goes down..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well...long time no see. My standard questions would be...have you inspected the sockets? Have you inspected the rear harness plug? Are you getting any feedback in the dash lights?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
If it's blowing when the pedal is released, then you might be grounding an exposed wire with the brake pedal arm. Not exactly the same scenario, but a uhaul I rented was blowing fuses when the pedal was pressed. The pedal arm was touching an exposed wire under the dash, which was blowing the fuse. I thought Uhaul took better care of their stuff. :suspicious:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I traced the wires form to dash to the sockets today and can't find any thing wrong.
I pulled the tail switch off and let it hang to keep the lights burning and after about 30 seconds the fuse popped and burned my finger when I touched it and I mean burn burned me, stuck another fuse in it and tried again feeling the wires for a hot spot, nothing..
One thing i did notice is the left tail light is much brighter than the right I thought maybe both Elements were lighting but they aren't.
Hmmm... It's got me stumped..

Yeah i've been running around the place like crazy Alabama Alaska Colorado just having fun and I mean fun :D
As for Uhaul they are crap.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Sounds like a short or bad ground on the right side since it is dimmer.

Take the bulbs right out and try it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts