Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Brake help!

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Okay, so to make a long story short.. I was driving the other day and the brake pedal hit the floor, and I still had brakes but VERY little. I'v changed the master cylinder (bench bled it, in case anybody is wondering), changed the brake booster, and bled the brakes about 4 times now, with no change at all.

You can pump them now and get peddle on the fourth pump, which you couldnt before. but I dunno what to do, I'v been bleeding them and not getting ANY air, so any suggestions are great...right now, I'm almost $100 down and still not any better.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
You still have air in the system. Start bleeding the brakes with the take the farthest from the master cylinder.
Some times you can just crack the bleeders and let it bleed by gravity just don't let the master Ho dry.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
That's kinda what I figured, but assumed I would have it out by now. How do you gravity bleed them? Just open the bleeder valves, leave the lid off the master cylinder and let it drip/pour out?

also, whats the best way to get a bleeder vavle out, that's been rounded off? I screwed one up... I tried vice grips, and they won't get a grip on it either.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
If it is bleeders on the rear wheel cylinders almost as easy to replace tthe cylinder only 12 bucks. Or try tapping a easy out in the bleeders hole and they some tile come out.

Last edited:

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Replacing the wheel cylinder wouldn't be a problem, if it was on the back. It's the right front though, and I don't really feel like putting a new caliper on unless I have too..

I'll probably pull the wheel when I get a chance and see what I can do without making it worse.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Until the air is out. Normally 10 minutes you will see the air bubbling out.
Is the front rusted or only rounded. If you had it loose already a ez out should being it out then stick a new bleeder in.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Alright, I'll definitely try it. and It's not rusted, calipers are only 7months old. but I think I overtightened them when I put them on.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
This time of year must be when Bronco brakes decide to take a crap. Had a front pad disintegrate on me a few weeks ago, the others still had 30k on them. And a couple days ago, both rear wheel cylinders decided to blow.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I'v had pads break like that too, on mine and my friends vehicles. (except I didn't keep driving it like he did, with sparks flying off and all...for two days)

That's one of the things I hate working on is brakes... cause it seems like they either work, or they don't.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts