Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Brake Booster

BoosterApplication1-1.jpg

F150BoosterApplication.jpg

Last edited:
ok related question, I have a 78 f250 that is real hard to stop, I drove it home from where i bought for 3 hours like that and they never loosened up. I saw it was leaking a lil brake fluid out on around the booster, do you think the booster is most of my problem?

Thanks,
Evan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
ok related question, I have a 78 f250 that is real hard to stop, I drove it home from where i bought for 3 hours like that and they never loosened up. I saw it was leaking a lil brake fluid out on around the booster, do you think the booster is most of my problem?

Thanks,
Evan

A few more symptoms would be helpful, ie spongy brake pedal, hard pedal, etc. And starting a new thread would probably get you more looks and help.

hard pedal,very hard to push. and if u barely push gas it just takes off as if brakes arent even on.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
hard pedal,very hard to push. and if u barely push gas it just takes off as if brakes arent even on.

Typically hard pedal is a booster problem. I don't know how else to test for a bad booster though, maybe someone else will be able to help.

Don't count out bad flex hoses for hard pedals

What also happens is, to stop the drip when changing calipers, old mechanics used to use vise grips. this basically started the problems with eventual loss of fluid to the caliper pistons causing a hard pedal.

One needs good flow of fluid to all brake mechanisms to ensure good brakes

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
If you have brake fluid leaking from around the booster, it's coming from the master cylinder. Boosters do not contain brake fluid.

Because fluid from the leaky master cylinder has comprised the booster, you'll have to replace both parts.

If you have brake fluid leaking from around the booster, it's coming from the master cylinder. Boosters do not contain brake fluid.

Because fluid from the leaky master cylinder has comprised the booster, you'll have to replace both parts.

Correct. Also check to see if you have vacuum going to the booster.

If your going to swap out the booster and M/C you might as well upgrade to the 350 booster and M/C. The 360 booster is a double diaphgram compared to a single diaphram and the M/C is a bigger bore. Well worth the upgrade.

its not much at all it is where the 2 meet,theres two bolts and a gasket beneth,i figured it was from me having to push pedal so hard for 4 hours,driving truck back from buying it,as it dnt seem to now. I havent messed with it yet,been doing body work,it had been settin,so i'm thinkin bout bleeding brakes and seeing wht that does 1st? it is hard pedal and hardest thing ever to stop

If it is leaking fluid between the booster and M/C that means you have a defective M/C. Bleeding the brakes will not stop the M/C from leaking.

ok. i noticed the vacumm plug that goes into the m/c was broke andleaking air,i replaced that and brakes are 2x better and they still need to be 2x more better lol. m/c doesnt seem to be leakin like i thought. what should be my next step?

Thanks,
Evan

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts