Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Block Heater

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Just posting this to sing the praises of a block heater. Yes, I have one on my gasser...mildly moded 351M

The DD had to go in for warranty work today, so the Jolly Green brought me to work. I don't usually run the truck in the colder months, so I haven't used the block heater much...this may have been the second time ever. I plugged it in last night before bed.

At 30 degrees this morning, the truck fired right up...as if it were 70 degrees outside. Went off of fast idle quickly, and gave me heat in the cab almost immediately.

For anyone running a carbed vehicle in cold weather, I recommend one of these things! Oil burners are not the only ones that can benefit from a block heater!

That is all.

The best ones are the flow heaters that are installed inline of the heater hose

I also have an OIL Pan Heater for when it gets -38*C installed in my 429

Last edited:
were these installed on many trucks from the factory? That's a good idea..wonder how hard one would be to find in junkyard?

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Let us know how the block heater works when you go home .

I didn't have it plugged in while at work today. It got into the 40's during the day, so not too cold for the start up at the end of the day. Still, it warmed up faster in the morning when it was heated than it did in the afternoon with out it.

were these installed on many trucks from the factory? That's a good idea..wonder how hard one would be to find in junkyard?

I don't think these were stock. The PO put this one in mine and pointed it out to me back when I bought the truck, and that's been several years ago now. I'm pretty sure they were all after market. See the post above by Dennis. Betcha he has one he'd sell.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
do you guys recomend one of these for a stored vehicle that is subjected to the cold temps,mine is under a large carport covered.i have enclosed the car port with tarps to keep the snow out.i dont plan on runing it much but probably will start it monthly to keep seals & such from drying out & battery up. what says you?

If it isn't being started you don't need one.

When storing you should normally drain the coolant,engine oil and gasoline.

Northern states and Canada trucks usually came with Block heaters.. My 78 came with dual block heaters. When I got the 429 I added the oil pan heater and the blue flow heater above is going to be painted black and get installed as well.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
My 79 250 has two block heaters in it, you can almost feel heat from the heater without it running! Seriously though, they are a must have when it gets cold, for ANY vehicle. All 4 of my vehicles have one (or two).

do you guys recomend one of these for a stored vehicle that is subjected to the cold temps,mine is under a large carport covered.i have enclosed the car port with tarps to keep the snow out.i dont plan on runing it much but probably will start it monthly to keep seals & such from drying out & battery up. what says you?

It's a good idea to start them up once or twice a month, maybe even take em down the street a couple times and get em to operating temp and to keep the brakes working. I like using stabil in the gas when they sit for a period of time as well....it helps.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
yes the tank is full & stabill is in,also the oil is fresh being a fresh motor,dont realy want to waste it 10 qrts,plenty of coolant also fresh,if the fluids were older i could see the point in draining,any suggsetions on the type of block heater that is available aftermarket,due to variance of our temps at times,condinsation will form on the engine when sitting which is marking up my intake & chrome valve covers showin some rust that will rub out but want to prevent it from getting any further than that.my thinking is if i can keep it warm this will prevent the condinsation from forming. or am i grabbing at straws.

I'm not sure that the heater would prevent the problem, but it may help some. ya, I wouldn't be a fan of draining all the fluids either..un-needed IMO. All I ever had to do was add the stabil in my vehicles if they sat around. I'm sure I'd forget that the oil was drained out and start it up without thinking if I was to do that. lol

Ford Truck Articles