Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Better Throttle Response

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Okay back to OT...would a CAI cone filter help?
Stick with the stock air box-- that is true cold air intake. I had an open element K&N filter and changed back to a stock box and got better throttle response. Open element filter = sucking hot air

Uh, would it work with a 300?
Ask Robert how he made it work. The 300 doesn't have much room between the water pump and the radiator so I don't believe it's a direct bolt on.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
I want some better throttle response outta my 5-0 mass air. It just seems like it has more hesitation than it should.
Hesitation? Describe this more.. does it stumble at throttle tipin?

Also I understand the engine needs to breathe and whatnot which is why I've got a 56mm TB, shorty headers with straightpipes; however I think the TB may be choking my lowend a bit.
Ahhh... no. The whole 5.0 intake is WAY too big for the motor and you're making it bigger so you're going the wrong way. I bet if you put the stock TB and intake tube back on your throttle response will improve.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC

Ahhh... no. The whole 5.0 intake is WAY too big for the motor and you're making it bigger so you're going the wrong way. I bet if you put the stock TB and intake tube back on your throttle response will improve.

+1 If you make the intake too large, you won't get any more airflow, but the velocity of the air goes way down.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Robert that writeup shows pictures of your eBay fan plus custom fan shroud. How did you later make the tbird fan + shroud fit?

combo of electric fan and electric water pump would help.. injectors too... i believe theres an adjust ment on the TB so you can get true WOT as well...

functional shaker hood? lol.. so many things that are relatively cheap.. even engine resotre works too.. i notice a better response after using it

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
No, it's not just seems like it's not there when I want it...the 33's n 3.55 gears don't help it much and I haven't checked the TPS voltage since I put a new TPS on.I understand it's suppost to be .98v? Correct?

So, I need to make my intake tube smaller and get that velocity back? I need Mr. M's writeup on how he made his custom airbox for his truck. Maybe that and a cone filter would up the ante a bit.

+1 If you make the intake too large, you won't get any more airflow, but the velocity of the air goes way down.

Alright the pipe I've got pictured there is 3 inch....would I be better off dropping it down to 2 1/2 or 2 inch PVC? I now longer have the stock tube (it was broke so I chucked it) and good luck findin a MAF truck in the boneyards.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Dang young plumbin types don't know nothing about oversizing pipes!!!smilieneenar

It works the same way on drains, too big and not enough scouring and deposits start to form!!!

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Yea yea yea......hell I once did a 16" run that fed off of 8 4" drop downs...overkill?It was for a Overhead Valet roof. I actually miss plumbing...that's scary. i sold all my tools too..that's even worse.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Yea yea yea......hell I once did a 16" run that fed off of 8 4" drop downs...overkill?It was for a Overhead Valet roof. I actually miss plumbing...that's scary. i sold all my tools too..that's even worse.
Well rain water drains need to be big!!!

I actually had inspectors tell me to oversize drains, I don't argue I just figure it's job security for some repair plumber!!!

Selling all your tools is bad!!!

radialarm

Clown of Death!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts