Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Battery Fix!!!

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Anyone ever had a worn out battery??? One that just wont hold a charge???

I think I found a way to get more life out of them. I'm in the middle of the experiment now.

I have a 2 year old garden tractor battery that wouldn't hold a charge,
and after adding my magic solution it's back up to 12.44V and getting better by the minute.
I checked it with a taurus fan(very high amp draw) and it ran it for about 20 minutes after treatment.

I'll post results after I'm done this evening!!!

It's worked great so far!!!

Then I'll start taking orders for my formula!!!

Well I'll at least let y'all in on what's in it!!! I luv y'all too much to sell it to ya....maybe!!!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
subscribed..........

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I wanna see. The battery in one of my tractors won't hold a charge.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
I left it on charge about 3 hrs, put in in the mower and it started it 3 times in a row!!! Last week I put a charger on it for 24hrs. and it would only click the solenoid. It's not 100%, but it's about 90%. I put it back on the charger until tomorrow. Now I have to do the long term part of the test.

The secret solution is ...............

Epsom salt and distilled water!!! I'll give y'all the portions later!!!

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
epsom salts thats is a old trick. it works for a while. it will clean the plates. the down side it disolves the plates.
you can eat it but it cause explosive poopers.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Can't you completely drain a battery then reverse polarize it and charge it that way? (IE pos of charger on Neg of battery and visa versa)

An electronics tecky told me that since walmart tests batteries now before exchanging them...he said you do that, they hook it up backward and POOF! there goes the battery tester.

Last edited:

radialarm

Clown of Death!
epsom salts thats is a old trick. it works for a while. it will clean the plates. the down side it disolves the plates.
you can eat it but it cause explosive poopers.
Randy, my feelings are that if the battery is dead already what can it hurt! It might buy you some time until you could get another if you're short on funds, or stretch another season out of those garden tractor batteries that only last 2 seasons on average.

JR, I've never heard of doing that, but while I was looking at that stuff on youtube I found an electric desulfonator that does the same thing! It just takes a month to do a car size battery and costs about $50!!!

blacksnapon

Staff member
What you can try, is to set up a couple of batteries, hooked together with jumper cables. Set them up in parallel, with the bad battery on the end. Put the battery charger next to the good battery. What that will do, is to "fool" the charger into thinking there is no resistance to flow, and they'll start to "take" a charge.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Can't you completely drain a battery then reverse polarize it and charge it that way? (IE pos of charger on Neg of battery and visa versa)

An electronics tecky told me that since walmart tests batteries now before exchanging them...he said you do that, they hook it up backward and POOF! there goes the battery tester.

^^^^^^^^^^^ quoting post fail!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Not unless you know how to change the inherent chemical reaction of charge/discharge cycle and the chemical composition of the plates.
IMO and few years of electrical experience...you can "make" a battery last a bit longer, but you are delaying the process that has already happened and it will let you down...usually at the worst possible moment.

Last edited:

radialarm

Clown of Death!
That battery is still sitting at 13.7V! Guess it does work!!!

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Cool. I haven"t tried that in years. My one friends Dad used to do that and the aspirin trick. He said the batteries gets headaches and he would drop a aspirin in each cell. Then the next step if that didn't work was to salt them.

Here's where I learned the trick!!!

Cool, tks for the link..

What you can try, is to set up a couple of batteries, hooked together with jumper cables. Set them up in parallel, with the bad battery on the end. Put the battery charger next to the good battery. What that will do, is to "fool" the charger into thinking there is no resistance to flow, and they'll start to "take" a charge.

Havr to do that w/ my charger... For some reason it will not charge a dead battery, it has to have some juice it for it to work...

Ford Truck Articles