Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Axle seal replacement...D44

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Can someone give me a quick run down on what needs to happen to extract and replace the axle seals on a front 79 D44? I had a small leak, but when I replaced the axle shaft u-joints, I made it worse, and replacement is imminent. I can get down to pulling the axle shafts, but after that, I'm lost???????? Does the diff come out? How do I remove the old seal? How do I install the new seal?

Thanks for any help.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dude...that was awesome, much appreciated, exactly what I needed.

Thanks for the info guys. Between that article and seeing what the manual says, I should be good to go. Thanks again.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Pull the axle out along with the carrier and mark the bearing caps wich side ya pulled em out of then get a pry bar and pop the old seals out if they dont come that way put somethin through the other tube and smack em out that way. To put em in get a broom handle and stick it through the axle tube till it is in the pumpkin then get a socket thats the size of the seal and pound it in untill its fully seated. The go around to the other side and do the same thing just be careful not to hurt the seal ya just put in.

Ford Truck Articles