Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Axle and driveshaft questions

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
ok so i got the gears from chris which i want to install...only problem is i dont have the $350 to install the gears.....(i hate not working in a shop anymore...) so what im doing so i can get my axle installed so i can pass inspection is im going to keep the old gears in...the ring gear has a chip on one of the teeth on the inside of the ring(hence why i bought new ones from chris) but im going to put the rear end back together(the pinion gear was never removed..) everything is new on the rear end. but i do have to out new clutch discs in the differential. now this is just a temp thing. when i get the money im going to bring the whole truck to get the gears swapped out later on.......now for the question

the axle is outta a 9th gen truck so it has the flat u joint mount instead of the direct u join mount that my axle has........as far as i know i cant take the nut off the pinion gear to remove the wrong mount because that wil ruin the gear lash...so my idea is go to the junkyard and grab the right yoke that will fit my axle and just reinstall it on my current ujoint to make it able to hook up..sound good? like i said this will be temporary until i have the cash to get the new gears installed

0314091721.jpg

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Is swapping the yoke style on your driveshaft going to make it slightly longer? If so-- do you have a slip yoke on your driveshaft with enough extra slip to account for the extra length, plus a little extra for when suspension gets compressed? That should be your main concern; otherwise I don't see a problem with changing the yoke on your driveshaft. I've got the 4-bolt flat mount on my pinion and I've had no problems with it ;)

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
ive got a 2 piece drievshaft with a good amount of room for moving around.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
this is the rear axle mount i have on the new axle.
IMG_1562.jpg

here is the kit im getting for the new clutches. im going to call ford and some other places and see what they have and who ever has the best prices im going with them

Ford Truck Articles