Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Austin's Explorer build thread and media dump

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
Hmm...after 20 minutes of going through your posts trying to figure out why the pics won't post, I have found...nothing.

I'm a useless mod. :p

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
So, I am not the only one they don't work for? The first batch don't work for me, but the second try did.

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
The quoted ones work just fine for me as well (on IE and Windows 7). The non-quoted original ones do not.

I went through his posts and couldn't find any problems in the code, just one of those odd errors.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I added a Ford sticker just in case I forget what I'm driving. :D

IMG_20110120_192810.jpg

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
im thinking bout getting a HUGE ford emblem for my back winder.... just to let the Dodges and Chebby's look at it as i leave em in the dust....

I thought about it, but it wouldn't last too long with the defrosting strips behind it.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Might as well get a huge F150 FLARESIDE or EXPLORER to put on the front windshield while you are at it. :D

;)

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I actually don't care for windshield vinyl...

I am planning on some FTF related goodies, though. :D

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
At the rate mine's going, I'll never have to replace it with a 5.0!

But it would be nice to have. :D

I dunno how the 4.0 pulls, but my mother's and neighbor's sploder has the 5.0, and I've driven a few other, personally, I wouldn't waste the time. If I'm gonna go through the time and effort of a swap, it better give me waaaay more than what it's putting out. Geezus, any 5.0 sploder I've driven wouldn't even hang with the Jeep's 4.0 straight six.

So, I am not the only one they don't work for? The first batch don't work for me, but the second try did.

Just looked at this thread...and was actually gonna call Austin a dip chit, but now I see others had problems too.

im thinking bout getting a HUGE ford emblem for my back winder.... just to let the Dodges and Chebby's look at it as i leave em in the dust....

As I made mention above, with the engine line up I've seen outta the late 90's sploders, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Maybe I've been spoiled with big cubes and big power (I don't consider low 300rwhp to be big power though)...and have much to be desired from other engines.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
4.0 is a DOG! Perhaps I'll just live with it though - I am building up the truck.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Damn...and you've already compared it to a 5.0 sploder?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
^^^Damn...and you've already compared it to a 5.0 sploder?

Haven't had a chance to drive a 5.0 sploder yet, but this 4.0 lacks any sort of punch. I wouldn't even dream of attempting to mod it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Like I said, if I were to swap, it wouldn't be an emissions compliant 5.0.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Like I said, if I were to swap, it wouldn't be an emissions compliant 5.0.

I can wait another... 9 years. :D

Then it will be exempt from all of those stupid laws and regulations.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I dunno how the 4.0 pulls, but my mother's and neighbor's sploder has the 5.0, and I've driven a few other, personally, I wouldn't waste the time. If I'm gonna go through the time and effort of a swap, it better give me waaaay more than what it's putting out.
I have both, and I will say that the 5.0 vs 4.0 (depending on model) is no contest. The 5.0 spanks the 4.0. The aftermarket for the 5.0 is way better, too. Gearing may have something to do with it but when you are comparing my 4.0 to my 5.0, there is a 60 HP and 70 ft/lb difference... Speaking from experience, I greatly prefer the 5.0. Now that it has a manual transfercase, and looking at a manual transmission in the future, there is no way I would choose a 4.0 (even the newer more powerful one) over a 5.0. Remember, the Explorer is a heavy beast.

UTfball68;436055Geezus said:
What do you expect? its not even a competition. The 5.0 Mountaineer has 215 HP, and 290 FT/lbs stock. The 4.0 jeep (2000 model, just to be even with the Mountaineer) has 190 HP and 225 Ft/lbs. Now, my Mountaineer tips the scale at 5200 lbs. That jeep on the other hand weighs a mere 3500 lbs. That is almost a full TON less! A cherokee weighs in at roughly 3800 lbs.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I can wait another... 9 years. :D

Then it will be exempt from all of those stupid laws and regulations.

I bet you a dollar it won't make it that long on that engine.

I have both, and I will say that the 5.0 vs 4.0 (depending on model) is no contest. The 5.0 spanks the 4.0. The aftermarket for the 5.0 is way better, too. Gearing may have something to do with it but when you are comparing my 4.0 to my 5.0, there is a 60 HP and 70 ft/lb difference... Speaking from experience, I greatly prefer the 5.0. Now that it has a manual transfercase, and looking at a manual transmission in the future, there is no way I would choose a 4.0 (even the newer more powerful one) over a 5.0

Gotcha...definitely understand that and the aftermarket is a huge bonus. I've had zero experience with the 4.0, and didn't know how much more of a dog it was. But still, my point remains, if it were me, I wouldn't waste my time swapping in a compliant 5.0, built...probably.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
What do you expect? its not even a competition. The 5.0 Mountaineer has 215 HP, and 290 FT/lbs stock. The 4.0 jeep (2000 model, just to be even with the Mountaineer) has 190 HP and 225 Ft/lbs. Now, my Mountaineer tips the scale at 5200 lbs. That jeep on the other hand weighs a mere 3500 lbs. That is almost a full TON less! A cherokee weighs in at roughly 3800 lbs.

I understand weight disadvantage, without a doubt. However, we're talking the difference between a straight 6 and V8...I'd expect more from a V8. I also understand the parasitic losses and that gearing has a factor...I just feel those issues shoulda been addressed at the factory to offer a better platform.

Flip side of that, what was the exploders competition, the s10 blazer? Going back to what Chris said, about chevy's eating his dust...stock for stock, I'm not so sure he'd even win that race, much less eat his dust.

I guess really what I'm saying is...the sploder is no speed demon, and I don't really buy into the hype of the 5.0 explorers, in stock fashion.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I can spin my 33s on dry pavement, I am more than happy with mine. I get great gas mileage and have had a lot of fun with stoplight shenanigans. ;) It will still do 90 on the highway without breaking a sweat, or with me feeling like I am going to die at any second.

I was always a truck guy, but after this, I will never be without a V8 Explorer based vehicle.

Ford Truck Articles