Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Attention Fram Filter Users

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
got my oil change today at walmart. I think they use fram. O well got my oil changed and shopping done.

You let the Wallyworld goons touch your truck... Your a brave man Aaron.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Aaron why the heck don't you change your own oil? And Ryan why heck don't you use a Motorcraft filter?! They don't cost any more than Fram!

ford4life69

Uwasa Wahya
TEXAS
i go to meineke where i can watch them work on my truck and if they park at the far end from the big window i walk out there and they don't say anything to me about it. my lease has restrictions on what you can or can't do to a car... basically you can't drain fluids or take off the tires if it means leaving it on the jack unattended for any amount of time. *shrug*

so anything i do has to be something they can't really tell i'm doing... they don't want the complex looking trashy... they should paint and get rid of the trash they let live here imo....

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I take it to have the oil changed because plain and simple, I don't want to do it. Like Connie I watch them through the big window and make sure they do a decent job. Then when I get home I spend a minute or two making sure all the caps and things are on and tight.

Lazy is all I can say.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
You let the Wallyworld goons touch your truck... Your a brave man Aaron.

We've taken my mom's '00 X to Wally World a total of three times, they've done a better job than the local Jiffy Lubes, Q-States, P-oil, etc...

I change all the fluids in my own rigs though, synthetic in the DD, blend in the rest...

I'm supprised to see the issues with the Frams, I've used them for as long as I can remember w/o any issues...

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I used to be loyal to Fram, using them for years with no problems. I've poured 200,000+ miles on engines with Fram, no problems. Then one fine day I noticed an oil spot on my garage floor, motor oil, hmmm, seems to be coming from the filter but I know everything is tight. So I take it in to the dealer for a warranty visit to have them look for the cause and see if a particular TSB that applied to my vehicle would fix it. Well, the outcome was, "your filter is causing the leak". Ok, so I crawl under there and replace the new Fram with another new Fram and top off the oil. No more problem and I just wrote it off to bad luck.

A few oil changes after that, and a new Fram on there, same good ol' oil leak. Now I'm getting pizzed. Another leaky Fram, you know, the ones that we used to make here in America, by Americans, for Americans, but somehow we can't make them anymore and some foreign country has to do it for us :icon_mecker: So I start reading multiple studies on oil filters and came to one conclusion. NO MORE FRAM. In the articles I read, and pics I saw, there are significant differences in the construction of the filters as well as the quality of materials. Like for example, Fram using cardboard glued to the pleated filter material to hold it together while the competition used rubber. Scary? Who wants a chunk of that cardboard plugging an oil galley when they're going down the freeway. And the list went on.

I would encourage people who want to know more on the subject to do as I did as I did, google the subject, make sure the author of the article is credible, read, look at the pics showing cutaway comparisons of the products and materials/construction, then draw your own conclusion. You might not like what you're going to read. All this, coming from a (former) 25+ year Fram customer.

My suggestions: Purolator, Motorcraft, WIX, and NAPA (ie, a WIX). Nope, not a Pennzoil either because that's a just a Fram with yellow paint on it (from what I read).

*So here's to all you doinks at Allied Signal, in particular the guys with fancy suits and pretty haircuts that are thrilled with your increased profits due to outsourcing, the foreigners that make the product, and the product itself :flipoff::flipoff:

Last edited:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I used to use Fram my dad used Fram I stopped using fram after read study after study on how bad! fram was when the K&N oil filter was stomping its butt you know it has to be baaaad.
So now I just use FoMo filters or Wixs :D

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hey Chris here is some more stuff on frams I thought you might like this.
Here is the insides of a ford for a ford 302 PH8A next time some body says fram is the best
They are made of plastics and cardboard..
DSC06317.jpg

framna9.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts