Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Anyone else have a AWD Explorer?

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member
My Explorer is AWD. I took it in for service yesterday and a time before because it makes a noise when I turn into parking lots and spaces. It is kinda a squeal or a whine noise. The first time they told me it was the way that I drove and I would need to get use to the AWD since I had only had it for a few weeks. This time I was told that it was the AWD shifting from one wheel to the other on the turn and it was normal. confused What does everyone else think?

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
what does your tires look like? we have had a few with intermittent noises that had to do with tires being different sizes. do you have 4 matching tires? are they all same age. the awd explorers have to have all 4 tires replaced at once of it activates the front axle more than neccesary and will cause all kinds of issues even damage.

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member
All 4 tires are the same. They all appear to have the same amount of wear. I just bought it used in October of '06. I just got the tires rotated in March. The noise was there before I got them rotated and it is still there now.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I'm telling scott you broke it.

Ryan

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
if i am not mistaken, the axle in the front is not limited slip, so there would be no shifting wheels. awd vehicles are like 4x4 with a auto switch into 4x4 if the need is seen by the computer.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts