Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

another twist thrown in...

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
i have just aquired an 89 gt with a 331 FI motor. it has factory heads but have been ported and polished 30lbs injectors upgraded maf aftermarket intake headers x pipe runs strong. built t5 trans. which i will be selling if i pull the motor. set up for spray which i really want nothing to do with so will be selling also. or list sell and take money and build my 351w. so i guess what my question is witch is gonna be easier/cheaper to get horse power out of?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
4 questions:
1. What will the engine (whichever you choose) go into?
2. What is your wants out of it.
3. What do you have already just laying around?
4.How many miles are on the 331?
5. How much do you have to spend?

personally, depends on how much power that 331 makes... if its a cheap thrown together stroker then i'd sell it.

but if not, i'd get some GT40 Heads, preferably aftermarket heads for it and throw them on and go from there.

Last edited:
393 Stroker... Utilizes a 3.85" stroke crank, stock length (5.956") 351W connecting rods, and a 302 piston with a dish. When I was going that route, my piston choice yielded me a pump gas friendly 10.5:1.

That, along with a set of RHS Pro-Action aluminum cyl. heads, an air gap intake manifold, and a custom ground solid lifter camshaft, you can expect around 450 H.P for under $5000.

Note:

I wouldn't run those heads out of the box, as the components that are used in the assembly of them are bad quality. Have a guy like Randy Malik or Tim Meyer build them for you. They will order the heads bare and machine/assemble them for the same price.

Want to spend more? AFR makes some of the best SBF heads IMO.

393 Stroker... Utilizes a 3.85" stroke crank, stock length (5.956") 351W connecting rods, and a 302 piston with a dish. When I was going that route, my piston choice yielded me a pump gas friendly 10.5:1.

That, along with a set of RHS Pro-Action aluminum cyl. heads, an air gap intake manifold, and a custom ground solid lifter camshaft, you can expect around 450 H.P for under $5000.

Note:

I wouldn't run those heads out of the box, as the components that are used in the assembly of them are bad quality. Have a guy like Randy Malik or Tim Meyer build them for you. They will order the heads bare and machine/assemble them for the same price.

Want to spend more? AFR makes some of the best SBF heads IMO.

Why a 393?? 408/ 18 is a much better combo..

Not when you consider extra machining costs to get to to balance out..

Use a good quality crankshaft and it will balance out just fine!
In many cases that I've seen, no Mallory has been needed. The Scat 9000 is the best option for an affordable cast crank.

Last edited:

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
1. 90 notch tubed rear end 9" rear end 4.10s 31/16.50 tire. drag strip application only
2. i want most for the money.
3. i have a 80's something 351w sitting with double roller chain 750 demon aftermarket edelbrock intake, roller rocker everything else on it would be changed like cam lifters or replace bottom end, heads, intake for a single plane.
4.oh probly $5-6000

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,29415.0/topicseen.html

gmkillr said:
Seller is a little negotiable on the price.

gmkillr said:
This is a completely brand new longblock from intake to oil pan all built by Jim @ Fordstrokers. The engine is BRAND NEW, never had oil in it or has never been installed. Has been sitting on engine stand since receiving it from Fordstrokers.

Everything in the pics is included with this engine (also included but not pictured is brand new Edelbrock Super Vic EFI fuel rails).

This engine is A1 mint condition, brand new, no wait longblock professionally assembled by Jim @ Fordstrokers. No dissapointments here!

Well over $8K in recipts to build this engine

Engine will produce well over 600 Horsepower

Will sell for $7,000 + freight & paypal fees
Im posting this for my friend so please contact him via email @
[email protected] or pm me for his phone #

NO TRADES OR LOWBALL OFFERS

Heres the specs:
408 Liberator 9.5 Deck 351 based stroker
9:1 compression ratio
D1 Block Machined (1971 block)
2.750 Main Conversion
4340 Forged Steel 4.00 Inch Crank
4340 Forged Steel H Beam Rods
Probe SRS 33.8cc Dish Pistons
Perfect Circle Moly File Fit Rings
Clevite 77 H Series Main Bearings
Clevite 77 H Series Rod Bearings
Internally Balanced
APR Head Studs
Fel Pro Head Gaskets
Fel Pro Pan Gasket
Melling M83 Oil Pump
Billet Oil Pump Shaft
ARP Main Studs
Fel Pro Rear Main Seal
Powerbond Extreme Series Internal Balancer
Canton 7qt. oil pan
UPR Billet Timing pointer
Solid Roller Camshaft Innovations Custom Cam
Comp Cams "Ultra Gold" 1.6 Ratio Series Rockers
Comp Cams 838-16 Mechanical Roller Lifters
Comp Cams Billet Cam Timing Set (Uses Torrington Bearing)

Heads:
TFS TW "Fast As Cast" 190cc Heads
Competition Bowl Blend
Comp Cams Titanium Retainers
Upgraded Ferrea 1000 Valve
Comp Cams 919-16 Valve springs

Cam:
Camshaft Innovations (Jay Allen) Custom Billet TLSR Cam
243/255 duration @ .050
.635/.635
115 LSA
Will provide Cam card to buyer of engine

Intake:
Edelbrock Super Vic EFI 9.5 that has been milled by Fordstrokers to fit the heads & engine perfectly.
Super Vic billet fuel rails included also

Mint condition 94-95 Mustang timing cover

FMS tall valve covers

IMG00037-20110213-1042.jpg

Billysenginepics018.jpg

Billysenginepics017.jpg

Billysenginepics016.jpg

Billysenginepics015.jpg

Billysenginepics014.jpg

Billysenginepics013.jpg

Billysenginepics012.jpg

Billysenginepics011.jpg

Billysenginepics007.jpg

Billysenginepics006.jpg

Billysenginepics005.jpg

Billysenginepics004.jpg

Billysenginepics001.jpg

Last edited:

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
yeah it is a good list of parts but i dont want to buy something someone else put to gether i want to be able to say its my baby

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
well finally got all my finances together and got the block dropped off and when i did the guy told me he had this motor in his shop 10 years ago. well he looked it up and it was bored 30 over and some head work and a cam put in. so instead of a 393 i will have a 408. i am goin tomorrow to give him some money to order the rotating assembly and cam will get some pictures.

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
he corrected me and it is gonna be a 396 instead. oh well still gonna make big power. hes talkin 600+

Like I said since your Paying the money already why not Get the FREE EXTRA cubes while your at it????

It dosn't make any sense to me, why you wouldn't want the extra Unless you got a Smoking deal on the kit...

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
600+ out of a 393. Do you plan on keeping it on the street?

Good luck with that bud! ;)

Aaron. Buy me a stroker kit and ill put a 418 in the car. :D

I'll even let you drive it if you sponsor the engine build!

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
You gunna buy tires that are gunna hook too?

There really is a thing as TOO much power...

hahaha not really, there's never TOOOO much power, just never enough traction ;)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts