Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Another Transmisson Thread- 97 F350

Jerome Casi

Missouri Chapter member
Hey everyone,

First of all thanks for the help, this is my first Diesel and first Ford I have had so I am learning. I also am not a mechanic by any means, but can do all the basic stuff.

Heres what happenened- Went camping this weekend in S.Indiana, pulling a 30 foot trailer through the hills. Noticed on the way out that my trans temp was getting a little hotter than normal (180 range), when cruising the highway. Didnt slip or anything (I do have a trans cooler as well). Checked fluid, it was fine, not burnt at all looks brand new. Way home- same thing, noticed it was running a little hotter than normal, at one point got up to 220, but still pulled the trailer fine for 5 hours.

Went to move the trailer this morning about 20 miles, and truck shifted real hard a couple times, OD light flashed, didnt seem to shift right at all. When the engine braking kicked in I heard a grinding when it did it from one gear, but if I tapped the brakes to kick the engine braking off the grinding went away.

I manually shifted to get the trailer there, dropped it then restarted the truck and then it drove fine for the 30 miles home and I pushed it a little to see if anything would happen, but it drove normally.

My concern is that grinding and it running hotter now, is my TC getting ready to go out? Anyone had a similar problem?

Sorry for the long post, appreciate the help.

Michigan
hmmm sounds fimilar.. lol I just went through all this.. Go to a good trans shop and have it scanned. Since it has a flashing OD light its got a code stored.. Probably going to be a torque converter slip code like mine. Im assuming its shifting hard into second when the OD light flashes right? My whole trans was shot. I let my converter slip for a good year or so and then i lost reverse and the converter wouldnt lock up so it was time for a rebuild..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts