Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Aftermarket Oil Changes Causing 6.0L Owners to Lose their Lids

Some aftermarket competitors have released 6.0L oil filters for both E and F-Series applications with an integrated oil cap. The complete filter/cap combination is thrown away after each oil change. While not being environmentally friendly, this action is also causing customer dissatisfaction.
It appears that owners are not always aware that this special style of filter/cap is being used – and that their original oil cap has been discarded. The next time they want to use an original style oil filter means they will have to buy another oil cap.

Ford has reduced the pricing of the oil caps to make it easier for dealers to get 6.0L owners back to original parts.

Remember, the 6.0 and 6.4L oil and fuel filters are patented for a reason and designed specifically for these engines. Help your customers by keeping their truck maintained with genuine Ford and Motorcraft parts.

Part Number F-Series OLD LIST $61.10 NEW LIST $30.00

3C3Z-6766-CA

4C2Z-6766-BA E-Series OLD LIST $55.86 NEW LIST $35.98

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Good info Ed YelloThumbUp Thanks for posting that up for the 6.0/6.4 owners.

I'm sure they've all heard it by now-- but I've read articles about those filters and I highly advise against using anything except a factory filter (or an OEM quality from a very reputable brand). Those filters are manufactured to a precision spec and the aftermarket ones are NOT.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Guess that is their answer to the patent on the Racor oil filters. I am sure the reason the cap is replaced is to ensure that the valve at the bottom of the canister is seated and functions properly. Capitalism working at it's finest.... The bad part is that the original cap is not handed back to the customer since that is his property.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I contacted my source at Racor and he gave me the two part number for Napa/WIX that are causing all the problems byhaving the lids built into the filter (an all-in-one) filter combination.

57312 (Trucks and Excursions)
57313 (E series vans - but same filter and cap unit)

Below is a picture from the Napa/WIX website after searhcing for their part number.

I guess those sly bastards at Napa/Wix think they are smarter than Racor in trying to get around the Racor patent. For only $19.99/ea, I will continue to use Motorcraft oil filters (made by Racor) from Walmart or my local auto parts store!!! Funnything is, the WIX filters are not any cheaper and yet you get an inferior filter!!!!

Attachments

• WIX 57312 Oil Filter.jpg

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I thought Motorcrafts were made by Purolator?

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I thought Motorcrafts were made by Purolator?

Racor makes the filter and Framm, Int'l and Motorcraft re-package them in their own box.

Motorcraft has ALWAYS been a Racor filter.

Racor is the designer and manufacture of the oil filter housing and fuel filter housing for the 7.3L(fuel only), 6.0L and 6.4L PSD motors.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Racor makes the filter and Framm, Int'l and Motorcraft re-package them in their own box.

Motorcraft has ALWAYS been a Racor filter.

Racor is the designer and manufacture of the oil filter housing and fuel filter housing for the 7.3L(fuel only), 6.0L and 6.4L PSD motors.

Well I guess there is allot of miss informed people out there I've have all ways heard every where and I mean online in the auto parts store that they're made by Purolator.. Thanks Mook now when some body says other wise I can say smilietease your wrong :D

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Well I guess there is allot of miss informed people out there I've have all ways heard every where and I mean online in the auto parts store that they're made by Purolator..

Tex,

BBC is specifically talking about the oil & fuel filters for the 6.0 & 6.4 Diesel, and fuel only for the 7.3 Diesel.

Gas motor filters are a totally different thing completely.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Tex,

BBC is specifically talking about the oil & fuel filters for the 6.0 & 6.4 Diesel, and fuel only for the 7.3 Diesel.

Gas motor filters are a totally different thing completely.

I am sure glad you have my "six".

We make a good team.... I'll post and you translate.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts