Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

advice please!!!

buying a 1987 Ranger 2.9 automatic. Owner had replaced tank fuel pump, rail fuel pump and says truck runs great, BUT sometimes motor won't start after running. He says it seems to not be getting fuel, and may run great for a week then out of the blue won't start. He says may start right up the next day or may not. But will start without any adjustments. Buddy of mine is leaning toward its brain, has anyone ever heard of a brain going out slowly? I always thought they either worked or they didn't. Can the brain allow the motor to turn over but not allow fuel pumps to work?
Truck sounds great, and I would like to have it so I am searching for any help. So please any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, and I will be taking photos from day one to post.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
While I haven't had to deal with one that old, my first thought would be fuel pump or EEC relay (assuming it has them). The contacts sometimes corrode/pit and result in intermittent no-starts. What needs to be done is when it doesn't start, go out and see if it's got spark and fuel, this will save time in your troubleshooting. I wouldn't suspect the EEC module at this time until some diagnostics and basic troubleshooting are performed to better isolate the problem.

When it won't start..its spinning right?

Check what he suggested and also open the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Don't lean over it when you do it. If it has fuel pressure...it will spray fairly hard. If I remember right (been about 4 years), it is on the drivers side and has a tire valve cap on it. It is basically a tire valve under the cap.

Again..do not lean over it when checking this. In fact..some sort of safety goggles or a face shield should be worn.

Without a first hand account (and some tests)...we are just guessing.

Ford Truck Articles