Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

add a mobile phone skin option

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ryan have you looked into this at all? I've seem other sites host a secodary mobile skin at mobile._______.com, like mobile.fordtruckfanatics.com

Any chance we could do something like that?

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
we now have a mobile skin and auto-detect feature. give it a try and let us know how it's working. the only issue we have had so far is it not detecting the iphone.

If you are not using a mobile device and it's directing you to the mobile skin please let us know so we may try and fix the situation.

sweet, thanks.

the iphone didn't show anything different (like you said), but i also don't see the choice in the "skin-chooser" at the bottom

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
those of you with experience with an iphone - is safari the default browser? If so, is it a mobile version? If not, does the iphone have its own browser?

Ryan

don't have an iphone but is a mobile skin necessary on the iphone or is it advanced enough to use the default skin.
it's usable with the default skin, but would be nicer with something that cut out some of the vbulletin fluff and had better "click targets". without a stylus, hitting the exact right spot (view first unread) is tough.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
currently we have the mobile skin set so users can't select. it is pretty basic and you have to logout to go back to the default skin. don't want anyone to get stuck in it and freak out.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
posting on my touch pro now.everything looks normal in ie mobile.looks the same in opera mobile or mini, bolt,iris and skyfire. just like on the regular computer version.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I will check on the wifes phone later. Her's is a normal cell with a built in browser. Might just be my phones browsers are not the standard cell phone browsers.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
The mobile skin will most likely not work with Mobile Safari, Mobile IE, Mobile Opera, etc, because these browsers are designed specifically NOT to use watered down "mobile" webpages. Most devices that use these browsers like the iPhone tout "full HTML browsing" which means that when you visit a page, you'll get a page the looks EXACTLY the same as it does on a desktop, or close to it. Mobile pages are used for phones that do not have full HTML browsers such as Trista's LG Vu.

What would benefit the iPhone users would be a "finger friendly" version of the site, as many websites already do. Just basically skinning the site to make all the buttons larger and easy to press with pudgy fingers, since the capacitive screen doesn't work with a stylus. As far as the browser detection is concerned, the iPhone's version of Safari is just as good as the desktop version except that it doesn't have flash support.

Thanks for gettin on top of this mobile browser thing guys! I'm excited to see what you make of it.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts