Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

A few questions

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Ok one last question...

Here soon im going shopping for a rear end to replace my 3.07s.

On car-part.com it says theres a difference between regular F250 rear and the camper special rear...can anyone confirm this? If there is a difference its going to seriously narrow my options.

Im still in the air about 3.73s or 4.10s also. Im thinking 3.73 s should be fine but i want your guys opinion. I do very little driving over 55-60 mph and i want the best setup for towing and driving without putting in an O/D trans.

Also...what other upgrades/fixes do you guys reccommend for heavy towing and long distance reliabilty?

EDIT.

Can a mod change the title of this to "a few questions"...i hit the wrong button...thank you

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The only difference should be the axle itself...either a 60, 61 (not sure what those went in) or 70. If you know what you have...pick the gear set you want for your rear end.

I think a 373 is a good choice...355s can be a little sluggish...and 410s can wind up the engine unnecessarily.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Ive got a 61....so im kinda limited...but shouldnt a 60 from another 73-79 250 work?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
60 and 61 are different....if you want to swap the whole axle then it shouldn't be an issue...but I think the carriers were different.
Before choosing a gear....plug some numbers into this...
http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html

You really need to crunch the numbers using that calculator....it doesn't lie and gives you what you need to know to figure out your gears.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Just remember when figuring your rpms to add ~200 rpm for your non lockup converter slipping.

A 60 will fit in place of a 61 with no problems, but as Duncan said doing a gear swap on a 61 is difficult because it is a different carrier. Less selection for gears.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Yea i was planning on swapping the whole carrier. But does anyone know if theres a difference between the regular F250 rear andnthe camper special rear? Car-part.com seems to think so :)

I Used that calculator. Right now with 3.07s im around 1900rpm.

3.54s put me at 2100.
3.73s put me at 2300.
4.10s put me at 2600.

I dont want 4.10s no more :)

Last edited:

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
I have no issue with rpms going through the roof with 4.10's Maybe it's the 33" tires, or the cam, or maybe the fourth gear on the top loader is higher than the C-6 top gear. Or any combo of those things.

Yea i was planning on swapping the whole carrier. But does anyone know if theres a difference between the regular F250 rear andnthe camper special rear? Car-part.com seems to think so :)

I Used that calculator. Right now with 3.07s im around 1900rpm.

3.54s put me at 2100.
3.73s put me at 2300.
4.10s put me at 2600.

I dont want 4.10s no more :)

Me either, it's killing the gas mileage huge, 3.73's would be just perfect!

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Had bigger brake drums maybe... I can't think of any other differences....

If thats the only difference then im not going to worry...there are like 10 diff 3.73 rears around me close on carpart.com.

One claims 52,000 orig miles. There are 3 camper special ones and only 1 with 3.73s for a good price almost 400 miles away.

Im set on 3.73s now

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I think the rule of thumb for 'acceptable' revs is roughly 2500rpm at 55mph...meaning any of those gear sets would be fine. So your only worry from that stand point would be mpg's, in that case I wouldn't go any numerically higher than the 3.73's.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts