Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'99 Explorer alarm and dead battery

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
My grandmother has a '99 Explorer. It's been sitting a while- I'm not quite sure how long, but I know I drove it last July. Battery's dead, so my uncle put it on a trickle charger the other day.

The alarm was trying to go off (horn at 2 amps)...whoops. Disconnected the battery (like we probably should have in the first place) and put the charger back to it. Diagnosis: battery is toast.

What's gonna happen when (if) we get a good battery and put it in, though? Is the alarm going to go off as soon as we hook the thing up? Any way to avoid waking up the whole neighborhood?

AFAIK it's got whatever the standard factory security crap is. '99 XLT with the keyless pad on the door and PATS key, anyway...I've never seen a remote but I'd assume it had one at some point in time. No evidence of aftermarket stuff.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Had this issue on my Grand Cherokee when I got it... Just pop the key into the door or ignition and turn it. Should... and I say should... turn it off.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Before I put the battery in?

Or do I have to wait until the alarm goes off, then put the key in and turn it off?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
exactly... just put the key in the ignition and turn it over to run position as soon as the alarm starts going off, thats the way we do it on the exploder when we forget and lock it and when we lock it it automatically sets the alarm... just our drivers side door doesnt fully lock unless manually forced...

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Before I put the battery in?

Or do I have to wait until the alarm goes off, then put the key in and turn it off?

Wait until it goes off, just like Chris said.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
OK...but here's the thing: the Explorer is parked in my grandparents garage.

I would very much like to put a battery in it without the alarm going off. At all.

Maybe I'm nuts, but that doesn't seem like such an unreasonable thing to want to do.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I see... I don't know of a way of preventing it from going off, maybe some of the other guys do.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Thought of that but worried about how the computer would respond to being "live" when the battery was initially hooked up.

Disconnect the horn wire

Ford Truck Articles