Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

97 Ranger

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Hey guys, my brother just picked up a 97 Ranger extended cab 4x4, automatic with the 4.0.
Any things that stand out that might need addressing?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Nope- any shade-tree mechanic of the fuel-injection era should understand pretty much every component on that truck.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Nope- any shade-tree mechanic of the fuel-injection era should understand pretty much every component on that truck.

Thanks Ian, I told him to sign up here as there are a few guys well versed with it.

rust.... And from some reading it seems that the radiator mounts are the first to become really bad.
I have an issue with my fuel filler hose, another thing that seems to be somewhat common.

Been doing a fair bit of reading since last Monday when I bought my 93 ranger.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
rust.... And from some reading it seems that the radiator mounts are the first to become really bad.
I have an issue with my fuel filler hose, another thing that seems to be somewhat common.

Been doing a fair bit of reading since last Monday when I bought my 93 ranger.

Good to know, this is a BC truck as far as I know from the Valley, so rust should be minimal.

racsan

4xford
rear spring hangers! might be ok, but might not be, seems like i see alot of rangers lately that are low on one side or both, and the hangers have rusted away. front core support rust is kinda common too. with my ttb, i like to take apart the front axle every few years and inspect/grease the spindle bearings. also a good time to check the u-joints out & grease the wheel bearings.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
rear spring hangers! might be ok, but might not be, seems like i see alot of rangers lately that are low on one side or both, and the hangers have rusted away. front core support rust is kinda common too. with my ttb, i like to take apart the front axle every few years and inspect/grease the spindle bearings. also a good time to check the u-joints out & grease the wheel bearings.

Thanks for the input.

The ones we get out here normally have the 2.5 turbo diesel in them and they are pretty much unbreakable - no fullsize pickups out here unless you import one or have the $$$$ to get a landcruiser/patrol so they get absolutely hammered as contractors trucks or farm trucks.
They also have a one tonne deck load rating out here (2200 pounds) and depending on the spec they have a tow rating of 2 - 2.5 tonnes (4400 pounds to 5500 pounds)

Howdy all!!

so here I am the brother of DNFXDLI... Thanks for all the input. There is no problems with rust or anything, its a pretty solid truck for sure! There are how ever a few Electrical issues... :( Nothing serious im sure. Anyone know why the speedometer needle wont move.. even if the cruise control is working? Ive checked the VSS and its fine, but i suspect it may be a connection on the instument cluster itself.. booo!! One other thing is that someone in their wisdom had just cut the three wires leading to the passenger side auto door lock button and left them hanging there... brilliant! and when i popped off the door panel i found that the lower rod that works from the power actuator was missing and there was a short wiring harness not connected to anything laying i the bottom of the door. once i down load the pics i will post them.....
more to come.
Cheers!!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
A '97 Ranger has an electronic speedometer, but it gets it's signal from a sensor screwed into the back of the transmission, where you'd expect a cable-drive to be. Even though there's a VSS on the rear axle. Seems it's just a simple two-wire sensor.

(At least I think so- mine's like that, but it's a manual. Automatics may be different.)

the Ohms reading on the VSS was perfect.. right in the specs, and the cruise works fine but just no speedo needle movement. Im pretty sure if the VSS was not working there would be no cruise, this is why im thinking electrical on the cluster.. anyone have any further ideas?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
the Ohms reading on the VSS was perfect.. right in the specs, and the cruise works fine but just no speedo needle movement. Im pretty sure if the VSS was not working there would be no cruise, this is why im thinking electrical on the cluster.. anyone have any further ideas?

If the sensor on the trans checks out good...I'd be leaning toward a failed cluster too.

Does your odometer work?

Mark you know all us from the states hate you. :) and you're 2.5 diesel.. More envy you know than hate:wavey:

Thats Ok Randy out here we REALLY REALLY REALLY envy you guys for your selection of full size pickups and parts availability not to mention your much cheaper gas prices and cost of living.

If you really want a diesel engine me and another bloke could send you a 2.5 though:wavey:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts