Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

95 Lincoln Town Car 4.6

Hey everyone,

My TC always has white smoke (steam) coming from the pipes. Is this normal? I mean it is winter, but it smokes all the time.

I heard that these engines have valve seal problems, if that was the problem that I have, wouldnt it puff blue smoke?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hey everyone,

My TC always has white smoke (steam) coming from the pipes. Is this normal? I mean it is winter, but it smokes all the time.

I heard that these engines have valve seal problems, if that was the problem that I have, wouldnt it puff blue smoke?
Smell like anti-freeze?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Hey everyone,

you know how you fix this problem? BLOW ER UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and swap a supercharged 4.6 in.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Depends how much.

My '97 Ranger has been steaming just a little more than it seems like it should for years (and tens of thousands of miles) now. Pretty much all winter long you can see it when you're stopped and idling.

Sips a tiny bit of coolant, too. (Like maybe one cup every two or three months.) Exhaust doesn't smell of coolant, though.

The two may be connected...or they may not be. I dunno. Figure at this point, either it's a non-issue, or a big enough problem that the best option is to run it 'til it blows.

How much steam are you getting? Big clouds, or just a little wisp that never goes away? If it's the former, I'd worry. If the latter, I'd keep a close eye on coolant level, check for coolant in the oil, and otherwise not worry much about it.

Depends how much.

My '97 Ranger has been steaming just a little more than it seems like it should for years (and tens of thousands of miles) now. Pretty much all winter long you can see it when you're stopped and idling.

Sips a tiny bit of coolant, too. (Like maybe one cup every two or three months.) Exhaust doesn't smell of coolant, though.

The two may be connected...or they may not be. I dunno. Figure at this point, either it's a non-issue, or a big enough problem that the best option is to run it 'til it blows.

How much steam are you getting? Big clouds, or just a little wisp that never goes away? If it's the former, I'd worry. If the latter, I'd keep a close eye on coolant level, check for coolant in the oil, and otherwise not worry much about it.

Well, its not puffing big clouds. Just always wisps. There is no coolant in the oil. The coolant does get low now and then, but thats due to a bad freeze plug.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts