Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

95 F350 Key / Ignition issue HELP!

I am new to this site and just bought a 85 f350 which the owner really messed up the steering column housing that holds the ignition key cylinder with a screwdriver or something. He put a new ignition switch in it and I noticed it was not right I took it out and he had the small "COG" or round part that sits behind ign cylinder it is broken and missing keeper. Ihas worked for a couple of weeks and zi actually put a good ford ign in it but since it is broken I ordered a used column but it is now not turning off when I turn key and I want to know if it is the ignition or something else because when I do turn key it $$$$$ off the tach and dash lights but engine stays running, anyone??? Help. thanks See pics

Attachments

• IMG_5368.JPG
  • IMG_5370.JPG
  • IMG_5369.JPG
  • IMG_5367.JPG
I have a similar problem. My key is stuck in the ignition and I can't get it out. I've tried to release the entire switch so I could remove it and hopefully graphite the tumblers. Unfortunately I've had no luck in removing the cylinder. Can't figure out what I'm supposed to be pressing on through the hole in the bottom of the shroud. Any ideas? You didn't have to remove the steering wheel by chance did you?

I am new to this site and just bought a 85 f350 which the owner really messed up the steering column housing that holds the ignition key cylinder with a screwdriver or something. He put a new ignition switch in it and I noticed it was not right I took it out and he had the small "COG" or round part that sits behind ign cylinder it is broken and missing keeper. Ihas worked for a couple of weeks and zi actually put a good ford ign in it but since it is broken I ordered a used column but it is now not turning off when I turn key and I want to know if it is the ignition or something else because when I do turn key it $$$$$ off the tach and dash lights but engine stays running, anyone??? Help. thanks See pics

Sounds to me that inside the column where the ignition siwtch meets the lock cylinder the gears are not timed correctly. So even though you turn the key to the off position the ignition switch is still on

I have a similar problem. My key is stuck in the ignition and I can't get it out. I've tried to release the entire switch so I could remove it and hopefully graphite the tumblers. Unfortunately I've had no luck in removing the cylinder. Can't figure out what I'm supposed to be pressing on through the hole in the bottom of the shroud. Any ideas? You didn't have to remove the steering wheel by chance did you?

There is a small button in the bottom of the lock cylinder that you press on. You have to turn the key slightly towards the ON position. Then it slides right out. If you have to get a flashlight and lay under the column so you can see what your doing

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Have you checked the actual ignition switch under the dash?? My 85 would start and run but the dash lights, radio, and signals wouldn't work. Turned out to be a broken ignition switch.

manual or automatic?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts