Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

94 Ranger has me and everyone around me stumped

If I posted this in the wrong place just scoot me on along into the right one. I Bought a 94 Ranger 4 cyl 2.3 Pick up . The Tach has never worked and I am not sure the temp gauge does either. Truck has always had a slight stutter but mechanic said just use fuel treatment which did no good at all. It also has never had much get up and go. The other day it woulnt go faster then 30 and had NO power ...the Exhuast Manifold was glowing cherry red when we looked. There is no catalytic convertor ..we checked muffler with thermal gun in front of and behind muffler ..temps were normal ...We then changed the Ignition start module ..Check engine light went off ..tach started working and truck had LOTS more power - That only lasted a day and then it made a jerk going down the highway and all gauges went to zero. Truck would turn over but not crank ...later on that night it cranked and sounded perfect. We got it in the shop and put the overflow hose into a bottle of water and there were no bubbles ...we ran truck on OBD 1 and it came up with the following codes ..

IAT / ECT sensor - DAI - which is a engine coolant sensor

335 EGR / DPFE /PFECKT (DL8) - egr high or low voltage

341 Octane Adjust KPTO - open or in use (this is actually disconnected and from what I read ...its for information only and is used by Ford to adjust timing)

We also decided to go ahead and flush radiator ...and change thermostat ...there is no oil in coolant ...just bar stop seal. Flushed system well ....then changed thermostat ...Temp guage fluctated some but never went past first like of normal no matter what I did to it ...almost appeared to not heat up. Ran out of time and didnt get to use thermal gun to check actual tempature.

Oil pressure was on the L of normal and didnt budge

Ran test drive down hwy 52 ...strong ....Tach was at 2000 RPM and then wihtout warning it quickly feel to below 1 - I didnt lose speed or power but the truck started shaking some and check engine light came on.

Oh and I had a VERY dead battery ...it was 5 yrs old so I went ahead and replaced it just in case thats what caused all the guages to go screwy ...it had a very lose cable. None of the other guages did anything funky ...just the tach ..which didnt work before we put the Ignition Modulator on ...

So ...now I am stumped ...which part do I sling at this thing next????? :hammer:

blacksnapon

Staff member
I posted in your other post before I saw this one. The bad connection I talked about can and will generate some "unusual dtcs". Verify the connection first before going anywhere else.

Ford Truck Articles