Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

94 f350 turbo 4x4 steering problem

when traveling straight the steering wheel feels like it has a catch in it.when you try to correct it, it overreacts and veers to either side you are trying to steer in. this is really noticeable after turning full lock to either side. feels like it is trying to roadwalk at times.on occasions it starts bouncing at 30-40 mph. I have changed the steering box, power steering pump, checked alignment and all suspension parts are tight

blacksnapon

Staff member
when traveling straight the steering wheel feels like it has a catch in it.when you try to correct it, it overreacts and veers to either side you are trying to steer in. this is really noticeable after turning full lock to either side. feels like it is trying to roadwalk at times.on occasions it starts bouncing at 30-40 mph. I have changed the steering box, power steering pump, checked alignment and all suspension parts are tight
How did you check the alignment? Sounds like its either toed out or the box is too tight.

i took it to a reputable shop and the only thing they did was set the toe-in
everything else was okay

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
where did you buy the gear box from? like vince said it could be the gear box to tight. was this happening before you did the install?

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
could be ball joints or tie rod pivot joint worn or just full of dirt and being to tight. break everything loose and roatate all joints and replace any that feel rough.

I Think I Found The Problem, A Stabilizer Bar With Bad Bushings. The Metal Sleeve Fell Out When I Removed It.

i have now changed all tie rods in addition to pump and box and still have MOST of the problem. after turning full lock to either side, it feels like the hubs are locked as it wants to wobble even in a straight line. if you come to a complete stop and start out with the wheels straight it goes away. the hubs are fresh and no internal problems. i did find a rod end with a rough spot and the jerking is gone

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts