Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

94 F350 7.3 Idi Batteries?

Tried To Start This Morning And Had Barely Enough Power For Interior Dome Light. Checked Batteries And Had 11.4 And 12.33 Volts.
Could A Cell In Battery Have Shorted ? Changed Turn Signal Lens And Injector Lines Over Weekend And Inspected All Wires In Vicinity So I Don't Believe I Have A Short On Block Or In Front Clip. Would A Bad Cell Still Show This Much Voltage?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Tried To Start This Morning And Had Barely Enough Power For Interior Dome Light. Checked Batteries And Had 11.4 And 12.33 Volts.
Could A Cell In Battery Have Shorted ? Changed Turn Signal Lens And Injector Lines Over Weekend And Inspected All Wires In Vicinity So I Don't Believe I Have A Short On Block Or In Front Clip. Would A Bad Cell Still Show This Much Voltage?
That is showing just the surface charge. Proper thing to do is remove both batteries and charge them separately then test with a load tester.

batteries checked out ok, passenger side was a little low.
drivers side started fizzing,stinking and got hot after turning headlights on. found no stripped or exposed wires though

blacksnapon

Staff member
I'd be seriously thinking about new batteries if it started that after just turning the lights on.

That was my first intention.When I took the batteries to the local interstate dealer they tested good. They said that both were fine but they would sell me new ones if I wanted. Over the weekend I removed the battery in question and set it on top of the compressor so I could replace a turn signal lens, it was never disconnected or turned over. After replacing the lens and the injector lines I started it numerous times with no problems.

I did hit a deer 4 weeks ago on the driver side of the truck and 10 minutes later my headlights blinked several times and went out for several seconds.This has not occurred since then.I thought that maybe something had grounded out but found nothing when i replaced the turnsignal lens

charged batteries and took them to 2 other dealers who found nothing wrong,cleaned terminals, cables and checked all grounds and every wire i could find for damage and found nothing.swapped out 2 other batteries and still the same result

went to truck this morning, opened door and dome light full power, started up and drove to work like nothing happened. now if it will start this evening .....

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts