Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

94 F350 4x4 7.3

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I got into yet another project i can't afford or find the time to do. I got a killer deal on a 94 F350 4x4 dually w/ 7.3 & 5 sp. It has been rolled. Cab is shot but surprisingly the frame is still straight and the flatbed is good. 88,000 miles on it. Brand new tores and aluminum rims (all 6). $750 for the whole shebang. I drove the truck 35 miles home and it still drives good (not a fun ride in a squashed cab, luckily it was back country roads lol).

I could do things the easy way and find the right cab for it, but I have a line on a 79 cab in excellent condition. I'm not worried about being able to mount the cab, that will be easy. The wiring is what worries me.

Does this sound like a feasible idea? I'm thinking that if I'm careful during disassembly that I can reuse the factory wiring harnesses. Any input or ideas?

Feel free to call me crazy if you want. Between Carl and Ryan, you should know by now that my feelings can't be hurt. :nana:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I call "Crazy." It doesn't sound to me like a project worth the time it will take to get the 79 cab to work. I'd go the junkyard route and do a frame-off resoration and make a 'like-new' 94 F350.

Ryan

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
This could be very interesting. I'm not sure if it would be more trouble than it's worth though.

I'm sure it can be done, so if you decide to go with the 79 cab give us some pics and alot of details. YelloThumbUp

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I disagree with Ryan... Much as I like the '94s, a '79 cab is nicer looking by a mile, and much cooler with the diesel, too.

I think your best solution, though, is to sell it to me for what you paid for it, but include shipping in that, too...

94 and 79? I assume you mean swapping the whole thing, cab, fenders, hood, bumper, etc. It will be fun making all the mounts and getting all the wiring and computers to work.

Post pics of the rolled truck. Let us look at it before you jump in.

I would almost bet that a top chop would be a lot easier than a cab swap.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I'll post some pics this weekend. A chop top wouldn't work. The whole shebang is well, banged.

Yes, I would be swapping the whole deal. The mounts would be easy for me to fabricate. The wiring would be the part that I would need help with.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
The wiring would be the part that I would need help with.
You have the original 94 wiring harness complete, right? You should be able to carefully strip it all out. Don't forget the instrument cluster. Just transfer it. It'll take time, but that's what a project is all about, isn't it?

Fellro

Staff member
Being a 94, it can be either the IDI or Powerstroke, depending on build date. IDI would be easier to deal with the wiring, unless it is an E4OD... I say why not if you really want to. I'm trying to figure out how to afford a diesel to put in my 77...

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I didn't think the IDI's had to worry about a computer to control things....

I'd do it, there's a guy working at one of the local Yamaha shops with a '79 F-350, 4x4, CC, LB, w/ a cummins and an NV4500, so anythings possible.

(does this mean you'll be sending that F-150 to me now, seeing as you need time to work on this project).

Its an IDI but it does have a banks turbo on it and its a 5 sp manual

That makes it a little more interesting.

I don't recall which engine was in it, but the yellowish 78 or 79 4X4 in my "Ozarks run" pics had a big diesel engine in it. I wish I had paid more attention to it now.

I was sort of mesmerized by all the old trucks. :redface:

Definately take tons of pictures and notes. That would be an interesting build to follow.

Fellro

Staff member
I didn't think the IDI's had to worry about a computer to control things....

Only if the E4OD is on it, the computer controls the shifts, motor is not computer controlled.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts