Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

87 F250 CA emissions 460 AT carb cfm

My OE Holley died of main body crackism, all the parts houses swear they can only get me a van carb. Called summit racing and they said stock was around 750 cfm and sent me a 750 Edelbrock. Tuned on that 'till spark plugs were tan but even though it runs and pulls perfect, smooth throttle response went away with the Holley, and I miss that. I think 750 is big for the very stock 460, anyone know what cfm holley works best?

KdPate

After Hours Garage
Edelbrock = Weber carburetor. Good and easy to tune.

The 750 might be borderline for a 460. Could either drop back to a 650 holley (more $$$) or tune the 750 some to get the throttle response back.......My two cents.....

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Never had luck with any Edelbrock carp I ever had .

The basic 460 is 650 ish . I had same happen to me .

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
I've seen posts from a lot of the other guys on here that have said 600cfm work really well. I haven't looked to see what size mine is but I know it's edlebrock and i'm not happy. When it's cold it likes to load up and die at an idle.

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
wow ive never herd of a edlbrock bein slugish like that. if i replace a stock carb thats what i use on 460's. if its more of a hotrod engine ill go holley. did you check your timing? i have found that the edlbrock needs a fuzz more advance then what ford calls for. i set all my 429/460's at 36* total advance without NOS and 33* total with NOS

I have run Edelbrocks (Carter carbs) for awhile on my stroker 393 in my rest in peace 82 F150, on my kids 83 302 (500cfm) Mustang without a problem once tuned, which I'm well aquinted with doing. The 460 in the 87 doesn't have any bogs or hesitation, no backfire or anything like that. She has only 3120 mi on the HD rebuild and after that with the Holley it was back to normal, smooth and powerfull, with very progressive throttle. With the Edelbrock it's more of an all or nothing thing, idles good, cruises good, full throttle good but going from one to another it seems alot more relaxed and needs more of a kick to change rpm.
I'm running 34 degrees of total timing now, thats up 6 degrees from the Holley and cut back 4 from the top for detonation reasons. I'm thinking of getting a 650 Holley from Summit now, swapping the OE jets and power valve into it and hope for the best.
And Edelbrock is not really cheaper than Holley once you buy the linkage adapters and such.

And in case anyone is wondering,last year my 82 was going down the road on a rainy day @60 with my whole family along, a lady pulled out 42'(police report of skidmarks) to cross the road and we cut her Toyota Camray in half, like back doors and trunk in right ditch and front doors and hood etc in left lane. She was airlifted to hospital, we called a cab, all 5 of us. If anyone ever wants to argue with you about what truck is toughest I KNOW which one is.

Last edited:

emtzach

i get paid to do this
And in case anyone is wondering,last year my 82 was going down the road on a rainy day @60 with my whole family along, a lady pulled out 42'(police report of skidmarks) to cross the road and we cut her Toyota Camray in half, like back doors and trunk in right ditch and front doors and hood etc in left lane. She was airlifted to hospital, we called a cab, all 5 of us. If anyone ever wants to argue with you about what truck is toughest I KNOW which one is.

almost did that when responding to a heart attack few years back, still dont know how I missed that car. I think it was trying to beat me to the light or something crazy'smiliecrazy'

I wish I had missed her car also. It was a real light rain, had lights on and was behind a small Honda 2 lengths ahead of me and a big van behind me on a 2 lane country road. I saw the black Toyata at the stop sign that cracked my windshield as I tried to miss her but no luck.
I'm glad you had better luck than I did as I will remember that 15 seconds in slow motion 'till the day I die.

I've seen posts from a lot of the other guys on here that have said 600cfm work really well. I haven't looked to see what size mine is but I know it's edlebrock and i'm not happy. When it's cold it likes to load up and die at an idle.

On the Edelbrock loading up when cold at idle is usually an electric choke headache. Rotate the choke housing to have less tension holding it closed, and also when it first starts it should open 1/8-1/4". If not then either there is no vacumn to the choke housing or the gasket between the plastic and metal choke halves is leaking or the linkage/plunger in the housing is binding. Thats where most of the problems I've seen w/Carter(Edelbrock) loading up at idle-cold were.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts