Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

87 F250 axle swap

Am thinking of changing the front ttb system in my leaf spring equipped F250 and am looking for suggestions on what axle to run. Suggestions?

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
im asuming you want to run a strait axle? if so start lookin for an 80-97 f350 front axle then its pretty much a bolt in

What I have is an 87 F-250 SD 4x4 ex cab lwb with 460 4v CA emissions, C6 and full floater rear axle 4.11? geared. When I call the local salvage yards looking for the F-350 front 4x axle they always ask for what axle number I have and I have no idea what I should ask for. The yards claim that there are 3 different axles and some interchange w/Dodge and that doesn't sound right. Help!

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Most of the F350's came with the Dana 60 front but I've seen a few come with a Dana 44 HD.......The 60 will be a bolt in swap, but people always want a fortune for them. A dana 44 can also be a good axle to swap in but some fabrication may be needed. Leaf springs perches would need to be welded on and you'd need to swap the knuckles from your TTB setup over onto the 44 to get the correct lug pattern(if it's coming from a 1/2 ton). But, like I said direct bolt in would be a D60, it's got the 8 lug outers, thicker axleshafts and leafspring perches already on it.

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
dont forget it should have the same gear as the back well sort of. if you have 4:10's then the front will be 4:09's and if your rear axle is 3:55's the front should be a 3:54. i have run 3:54's in front and 4:10's in the rear but it isnt recomended for street use(in FWD truck will drag rear axle and jump around)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts