Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

86 ranger 5.0 swap? ???

Looking to do a 5.0 swap in my 86 ranger 4x4. Not sure what all I need to do to do it. What other things do I need to change out? Do I need a lift? Suspension or body? Different rear end? T-case? Ect.... any help would greatly be appreciated!

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
You should do a body lift. This will ease in bring the engine in with out beating or cutting the transmission tunnel and cutting up the heater box.
tranfer case will need changed. The rear ends should be swapped out to a larger size the extra power and torque tend to break them.
Are you planning efi or carbed,automatic or manual transmission.
The front springs will need upgraded due to the extra weight of the engine.

Last edited:
Efi. Looking to find one out of a mustang. 5spd is what I'm going to use. So what rear end would work? And I'm assuming a t-case from a half ton would be feasible?

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
A complete half or 3\4 ton would probably be ideal. I know its not a 5.0 mustang poweplant but its plenty of grunt.... OR if you are patient, find a 5.0 Explorer, gives you damn near everything for the swap.

Mustangs came with a 7.5 and a 302, not gonna be much more weight with a ranger, BUT an 8.8 is better and if you're blessed with awesome fab skills or a large bank account, a 9" is better...

Putting all this in, I'm assuming I would have to do a custom driveshaft? Going from a longer half or 3/4 to the rangers length? Or could I just use one from the ranger and beef it up? Love the idea of the 5.0 explorer but have not seen one around here in a while. Looking to do this by may or June.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Depends on the trans yoke and the pinion style, not sure if they both used the same u-joint but any reputable driveline shop should be able to modify a driveshaft to work between the two.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts