Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

79 f250 "build"

im not sure if i shared this truck with you guys or not. while cruising CL for parts i came across this truck. he was willing to part it out but i thought it looked too nice to part it so i bought the whole thing for 1500 bucks. it wasn't running at the time and that was just fine with me. its pretty rust free for where i live so the price wasn't really crazy. and it also has a dana 60 up front which pretty much made the price a steal for around here. that was his asking price, i didnt even try to haggle with him since i knew what i was getting, i dont really like to do that if the guys asking price is fair.

anyway, the truck has a 300 and the guy said " it just started smoking one day" not very much help but oh well. he had already pulled the head off the motor and when i looked i didn't see any visible damage. i checked the heads for cracks or bad valve seats but didnt see any. so i took a gamble and bought a head gasket and a valve cover gasket and put it back together. well she started up but something obviously very wrong. the tail pipe looked like a garden hose with the amount of water coming out of the tail pipe. so i took it back apart and saw what i missed the first time. a GIANT crack in #5. im not sure how the hell i missed it the first time other then its on the front of the cyl so when you are looking at it fromt he front of the truck you dont see it.

so i hoped on CL and found a motor over in NJ who turned out to be a member here. i saw the motor run then we ripped it out the truck. i was going to put new seals in this motor but when we tore it down it was clear i wasnt putting this motor in my truck with out a full rebuild. it had a few rod bearings that were loose, which i couldnt hear knocking when it was running but they were there. i started pricing out my options and by the time i got everything machined and all the parts i would need the price tag quickly climbed. i found on ebay a reman motor for a grand which seemed like a really good deal considering id be damn close to that by the time i rebuilt the other one and got it all together so i bought it. it showed up friday.

anyway, enough heres the pics of the truck

hauled her home with the 350
IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2454.jpg

IMG_2457.jpg

sitting in the yard a month or so before i got to her
IMG_2473.jpg

as she is now
IMG_2751.jpg

IMG_2752.jpg

IMG_2753.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg

i picked up a set of used 33s for 200 bucks to put on it since the ones on it now are about bald
IMG_2754.jpg

pulled the motor
IMG_2756.jpg

big *** crack
IMG_2759.jpg

new motor waiting
IMG_2760.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cool, looking forward to seeing this happen! That is a good sized crack!

More photos of the plane in the background please

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dent saved from the scrapper...check
engine swap...check
friggin jets in your front yard...check

Everything about this thread is win.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I think everybody likes seeing a dent saved from being scrapped. As your putting it back together maybe you can slip some parts in it from that jet, make it go fast.

I'm with you on the dent being saved....very cool...looking forward to seeing you get it on the road.

ask and you shall receive

IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

only ones i have on the comp. i have a few planes sitting around lol

Very, very cool!

its our business. we import them and sell them.

Very cooler!

Dent saved from the scrapper...check
engine swap...check
friggin jets in your front yard...check

Everything about this thread is win.

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid

WFighter_his.png

thanks dudes, ive been out of town for almost 2 weeks putting 2 race motors in 2 different race jets in reno.

those 2 big ones are su-25s. they are kind of just sitting, sort of got screwed on them. they may fly soon though as a new client is interested in them.

Another great deal for an old Ford ! Put in another 2g's and you got a really nice rig. What size motor are you considering ( or keeping the 300 )

its staying a 300, picked up a remaned long block for a grand. should be going soon.

so ive been away for a few weeks and got back last sunday. i finally got the 300 off the pallet and all dressed up. ive been waiting for parts so i haven't been able to get it between the frame rails until now!

to start off i cleaned everything and painted it. the block was already painted gray when i got it so i didnt see any reason to paint it again. painted the rest of the stuff with ford blue and cast iron. i painted the 4bbl intake too and the EFI manifolds are getting ceramic coated.

anyway heres the pics

new clutch and fly wheel and the offy
IMG_2789.jpg

dressed up waiting for a lift
IMG_2784.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

hanging out
IMG_2790.jpg

new clutch installed
IMG_2791.jpg

cleaned the engine bay up some before i set it in. didnt get too crazy just got rid of alot of the heavy greese and oil build up
IMG_2788.jpg

between the rails!
IMG_2793.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

i hope to get it fired up tomorrow with any luck. i dont have an exhaust yet other then the manifolds but if i can fire it up ill be stoked!

Ford Truck Articles