Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

79 bronco 460 rebuild

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Well I pulled the hood of of the bronco today. I'm going to pull the engine tomorrow. I will keep this thread updated with my finds. It will Probably be a slow build.

Here is the history. I have had the bronco for about 2 years. It has a 460 a d c6 auto. When I got it she ran alright. Just not a lot of power. Not long ago the engine started smoking on the left side. I don't have alot of history on the engine.

So I'll pull it out tomorrow and start the teardown. Well see where it goes from there.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Not alot of power and smoking...my guess is some toasted rings.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Well all I got done today was the hood removed, radiator disconnected and drained, and moved into the shop.

After the wife takes the kids to school in the morning I'll get started. I should be able to get the engine out.

I'm worried about what I will find. This engine was built a few years ago. It probably don't have 5000 miles on it. I don't know the guy that built it. I have torn down another engine that he built. We junked it. You could actually move the pistons around in the cylinders. Engine had no compression.

I just hope I have a buildable block.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^That's not very reassuring, good luck with it...but I think I'd probably start looking for a buildable core.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
I got every thing unbolted this morning. Here in a little while I will pull it out and put it on the motor stand.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
I got the motor out. Torque converter and flywheel off and on the motor stand. I'll start tearing down in the morning.

I'll post pics of my finds.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Well I for the 460 partly down today. Every thing looks good. Pulled the main caps and no scars. Cylinder walls are clean. No groves. The only concern is a broke place above the cam. It looks like an oil drain port. It appears that it has ben like that for a while. Lifters were perfect. No beveling. Here are a few pics.
08363057.jpg

22aea1d4.jpg

329264ab.jpg

72fd3f05.jpg

0b9d5332.jpg

e795a3fe.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts