Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

52 F3 I saw today will go to auction next Saturday

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I pulled in the parking lot of the auction I go to almost every Saturday and saw a 53 F3 sitting there. I snapped two pics with the phone. Come to find out later that it is going up for sale next Saturday.
Here are the pic I took.
2012-05-19_13-11-30_773.jpg

2012-05-19_13-11-40_229.jpg

Might be getting a F3 if the price is right.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
That is a nice truck. If you don't get it, I'd like to know what it goes for. Are those signal lights inserted in the grill?

tinman52

Tin bender
Nice looking old truck. Let us know if you get it.

It looks like it has a "quickie" paint job with the window rubbers painted, etc.
Make sure it's not a rust/bondo bucket under the shiny red.......

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
That is a nice truck. If you don't get it, I'd like to know what it goes for. Are those signal lights inserted in the grill?

Those are original factory park lights in the top grill bar. Interesting tidbit of info - they come on with the light switch half-way out, and when the switch is pulled all the way out the headlights come on and the park lights go out.

They can easily be converted to function as both park and turn lights.

The big round lights on the fenders afaik are aftermarket for turn signals. Its rare to find a truck that doesn't have them installed on the fenders.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Those are original factory park lights in the top grill bar. Interesting tidbit of info - they come on with the light switch half-way out, and when the switch is pulled all the way out the headlights come on and the park lights go out.

They can easily be converted to function as both park and turn lights.

The big round lights on the fenders afaik are aftermarket for turn signals. Its rare to find a truck that doesn't have them installed on the fenders.

Thank You, Tim.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Looking closer at the pics after the grill questions. It has to be either a 49 or 50 those are the only ones with grills like that.
will take my body filler/paint thickness gauge to how much work was done on it.
Hope it still has the old flat head in it.
A good friend that has a beautiful 53 f1 is going also. He wants a 3/4 ton to add to his collection.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Looking closer at the pics after the grill questions. It has to be either a 49 or 50 those are the only ones with grills like that.
will take my body filler/paint thickness gauge to how much work was done on it.
Hope it still has the old flat head in it.
A good friend that has a beautiful 53 f1 is going also. He wants a 3/4 ton to add to his collection.

I just noticed "53"

That truck style was used in 1948, 49 and 50 using the F1, F2, F3, etc badging.

In 53 Ford changed the designation to F100, F250, etc.

Get me the serial number (VIN) off the firewall tag or the glovebox tag and I can tell you what year it is. I've collected enough serial numbers that I can pretty well tell you what month it was built o/b of the VIN.

'48 prefix was 88RC or 87HC. 49 and 50 used prefix 98RC and 97HC.

I hope it pans out for you - it looks decent from this distance - lol

Looks like a fine F-3. The p. o. has already gotten rid of the front 17" widow maker wheels, but they are still on the rear. Because it probably still has its 14" rear drums, normal 16" F-250 wheels won't fit the rear. If you are the buyer we can help you with replacement options. Stu

Last edited:
This original 17s from the front aren't much worth having, except for scrap metal value at the recycler. No reputable shop will touch the things anymore. The two on the rear will end up at the recycler too. Stu

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Looks like a fine F-3. The p. o. has already gotten rid of the front 17" widow maker wheels, but they are still on the rear. Because it probably still has its 14" rear drums, normal 16" F-250 wheels won't fit the rear. If you are the buyer we can help you with replacement options. Stu

I've heard them referred as 'widowmakers' but I was wondering what the fatal design flaw is.

Ryan

I've heard them referred as 'widowmakers' but I was wondering what the fatal design flaw is.

Ryan

The technical term for the outer rim design is Firestone RH-5°. It's a two part rim that joins the front and back halves at the mid-line of the assembly. Many unsuspecting buyers wrongly think these are one piece wheels because the joint is not easily visible. They've been subject of a recall effort back in the 70s, ultimately defeated by industry, and today they are a pariah. Very few reputable shops will touch them today for insurance and lawyer reasons. We hear too that some states require shops confiscate them if brought in for service.

All Ford F-3s, 1948 to 1952 came equipped with them in the 17" size. Many, or perhaps most, other larger Ford trucks from the late 1940s until the first half of the 1970s were also equipped with them. I'll post a couple links below showing their construction. Replacements do exist, but are not easily found. The best alternative is Budd #71410 which is a tubeless 19.5" x 5.25" first introduced in 1956. Another good alternative is Budd #73240 that is a tubeless 17.5" x 5.25". I have a set of these available. Both of these have the "innie" hub cap nubs to accept the original F-2/3/250 hub caps. Stu

Cross section.

budd1954FirestoneRH5degreeRH5degree.jpg

Here's the face of the 17" widowmaker.

f-3wheel001-1.jpg

Here's the joint.

FirestoneRH-5degree004.jpg

Here's the raised band like area that will be visible on the concave side.

RH5concaveside.jpg

Am I correct in assuming that in order to get the 2 pieces separated, you have to pry them apart? It doesn't seem like a simple task. I'm also guessing there's hammering involved putting them back together?

Yes. The design requires that tire irons be used to squeeze the "side ring" past the rim lip when assembling and disassembling. Unfortunately this can occur spontaniously and lead to horrific personal injury to the tech, or can lead to damage to the truck or injury anyone in line-of-fire if one lets go while in service (especially on an outer dual). The amount of air pressure held captive in a tire causes them to go off like a bomb when they let go. Stu

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I have seen them let loose at the tire shop while inflating. They have a cage they put them in when during term up. Always fun to watch everyone react to the sound.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Well the auctioned off the 50 today.
I went over it really good before the sale it most of had at least 3 gallons of putty on the roof and hood doors. I will say they spread it nice it was hard to see all the work it had done to it.
The highest bid was 2700 and the seller rejected the bid the last I heard. they said they may try and sell it again.It sounded great but there was a noise in the rear of the engine sounded like a bad pressure plate spring.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts