Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

5 speed trans

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I am having to do my truck on a very tight budget. I would like to convert over to a 5 speed trans. Would one from a Mustang work ok? I checked prices for a new Tremec and they are way out of my range.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Hmmmm. Depends on how you plan to use the truck. Mustang 5 speeds are marginal in cars, once you start putting torque to them.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Hmmmm. Depends on how you plan to use the truck. Mustang 5 speeds are marginal in cars, once you start putting torque to them.

Well it's going to have torque to it,I can't afford the $4000.00 price tag to get a TKO 600

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Do you need overdrive? You might get lucky and find an old toploader 4 sp.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
How much power do you figure to put to it?

The Mazda M5OD from the half-tons has a lousy reputation, but they're cheap...

Marginally off topic....

How much HP and Torque will they take?

I see them swapped behing the Y-blocks sometimes. They make adapters just for that trans.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I believe they are rated at about 325 ft lbs.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Right now I have a stock 302 rebuild .030 over so I can get by with a lighter duty trans.Until I have everything to upgrade the engine.

I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I believe they are rated at about 325 ft lbs.

Then for a stock flathead or a stock Y-block it is not an issue. I just wondered.

Just for comparison:

OHV V8 ( Y8 ) 5 Main Bearings; B&S 3.62 x 3.30; 272 cid; Compression Ratio 8.3:1; 171 HP @ 4400 RPM; 260 ft. lbs. of Torque @ 2100-2400 RPM; 2 Barrel Carb.

Now...back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Well it's going to have torque to it,I can't afford the $4000.00 price tag to get a TKO 600

Were did you get that price at??? I bought mine for about 2grand, shipped to my door, brand spakin new.

Ford Truck Articles