Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4x4 shift lever broken

I have 1996 f250. Where shift lever goes in to bracket under rubber cover snapped off, not accually the lever itself. How much of a pain is that unit to change out???

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I am confused....

The lever bolts onto a bracket.... Did the bolts come out?
Is this what you are talking about?

Pull the shift boot off... Pull the rubber up near the bottom there should be either 4 or 6 screws...

The 4x4 lever goes into a bracket where it was held in by 1 bolt. the bracket broke away. Best I can explain === it's like a battery terminal connection. this whole bracket assembly I think turns to engage the 4x4

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
The bracket that broke awya, is it the one on the side of the transfer case?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Is the bolt still intact?

If so, the bracket is easily replaced.

no bolt. the bolt went thru the lever also -- must have broke off of bracket then fell out of lever. could not look for it cause it broke on my cousin when he was using the truck

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I'm not sure about the fix then. Another memeber here, Chris may know more about it. He'll be along shortly.

Welcome to FTF btw.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
If I'm the Chris you're referring to-- no luck, sorry brother. I've only had experience with my crappy electronic tcase.

Sounds like you've snapped the shifter linkage? Part of the linkage connecting the shift lever to the rear of the tcase motor where it engages the 4wd? A picture would do wonders in a case like this.

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
ive had this problem just go to the salvage yard and get a new/used shifter and bolt. then change out the whole thing itll save ya time and greef. remember to push the shifter down when changing from hi range to low and when ya change the oil in the truck spray some silicone spray on the shifter

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I broke the same 1 of my F350, ordered it from Ford, was like 170 You will get the whole alumn peice. Im the Chris, caus I know what hes talking bout lol..

Ford Truck Articles