Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4x4 question

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
So my truck is a 4x4 but I don't use the 4 wheeldrive very often. It's more of a just in case option, it usually gets used a few times in the winter. Should I put it in 4HI or 4Lo occassionally to get the fluids moving a little more or will it take care of that itself?

I was always told to engage both every so often. I always did in my old ranger. Then again...it was off-road a lot so it got used.

I do so in my explorer now (street only). I have not had it in 4 hi or 4 lo since last Sunday. Dragging trees.......

econo61

head pervert
okla
i would just to be safe. it might also let you know if one of the auto lockers is sticking, before you dont need it to stick!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I've always been told you should engage the 4x4 every month or so.

But DON'T do it on dry pavement. Yeah, you can run in a straight line for a while without doing any damage, and you'll always find the guy who's never had a problem in 30 years driving in 4x4 on dry roads, but it sure doesn't do any GOOD, and could do some harm.

I'm pretty picky, to be sure, but I'd make damn sure to find a dirt road and drive maybe 100 yards or so in 4-wheel every month or so.

I've always been told you should engage the 4x4 every month or so.

But DON'T do it on dry pavement

I thought it was ok to use 4 wheel drive on dry pavement just so long as you have it in 4H if you are driving at higher speeds(like say 20-25mph) or so), maybe hauling or towing something or maybe trying to get around on the snow, and I thought it wouldn't hurt it to be in 4L as long as you don't go above crawling speed on dry pavement!?!? Last night was the first time I used 4 wheel drive in my truck, took a couple of friends muddin' and it seemed to pull through it alright in 4 high, although when I got stuck in a fairly deep rut I had to go in reverse, but none-the-less I did make it out.YelloThumbUp

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
......although when I got stuck in a fairly deep rut I had to go in reverse, but none-the-less I did make it out.YelloThumbUp

I want pics!

And by the way scott if you ever want to test the 4x4 on it let me know...LOL

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
i would defintely actvte 4wd every now and then, not much for the fliuds in the tcase, but for your hubs. if i remember correctly, the hubs are a open planetary style that we have had some water ingestion issues with, and noise issues with, so actvating them once in a while should help keep the water/moisture out if any

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I thought it was ok to use 4 wheel drive on dry pavement...

The issue is that when you've got the truck in 4x4, the transfer case does not allow for any difference in speeds between front and back, the way the differentials allow for differences side to side on each axle. All-wheel drive cars allow slippage between the front and back, as well as side to side.

If your tires are not perfectly the same diameter (and they are not, even if they're all the same brand) or the gearing in the axles is not exactly perfectly the same, or any number of other variables that can cause the wheels to rotate at different speeds, you put a lot of loading on the drivetrain.

If you're on snow/ice/dirt/grass, then the wheels can slip slightly and it's no problem, but if all four wheels are on dry pavement, then there is nothing that can slip.

And, like I said, I'm a picky SOB- there's lots of things I won't do to a truck that others will (notice how many miles on my truck, though...YelloThumbUp ). Even so, circumstances occasionally dictate that you have to drive in 4x4 on dry roads for a very short distance (e.g. you can't pull onto the road without 4x4, and have to drive a little on the road before you can stop and shift out of 4x4) and I have been known to do it, and will do it again. Only when absolutely necessary and for as short a distance as is safe, though.

i engage mine often. not on dry paved roads(hi or low), but alot in the park. gravel. or in the winter on snowy rds. my hubs are like new, t-case lube like it came out of the can, and i can hook up now and and lose a tug of war to the astro. but all 4 wheels turned on the ford. friggin under weight short box.
i did snake a dodge all over the park last week that was trying to tow a broke down s10 blazer

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I've heard once a month as a rule of thumb. It's good to get all those components spinning/moving; t-case, front driveshaft (and u-joints), front diff, axle shafts (and u-joints), lockouts, etc.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Yep, once a month. Speaking of which, the *cough, cough* Bowtie has that Autotrac thingie, so it can be kinda-sorta run on dry pavement. In the "auto" mode it just engages the front differential (no conventional hubs).

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Thats because Chebbie owners are dumb and don't know how to properly operate the 4x4, therefore the truck has to be programmed to do it for them.

Oh wait, don't you own a Chebbie Ernie? :D

Yep, once a month. Speaking of which, the *cough, cough* Bowtie has that Autotrac thingie, so it can be kinda-sorta run on dry pavement. In the "auto" mode it just engages the front differential (no conventional hubs).

Ford explorers have "control trac". It takes off in 4X4 high up to some speed then disengages. Or at least that is what the books say. I know it won't turn a tire on dry pavement from a dead stop (also has trac-lock rear end).

It does not have conventional hubs either. Just an electromagnet that engages the front driveshaft somehow.

I still drop it into 4 high and 4 low about once a month though.

A lot of the off-roaders on the explorer forum, do "the brown wire mod" to control when it is in 4X4 and when it is not (tighter turns). Also..its fun for burnouts. :angel: (mine has not been modified!) The 4.0SOHC will make a lot of tire smoke (I have seen videos).

Last edited:

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Thats because Chebbie owners are dumb and don't know how to properly operate the 4x4, therefore the truck has to be programmed to do it for them.

Oh wait, don't you own a Chebbie Ernie? :D

toetap05.gif

The Autotrac has a series of clutches in the transfer case, but is slightly less efficient in "auto" mode because the front axle is engaged. There are also low and hi over rides. Convenient in my neck of the woods, were 100 ft elevation change can mean the difference between rain, ice, or snow. In combination with the Stabilitrac (4-wheel stability and traction control), it's almost unstoppable on pavement.... and almost idiotproof. One interesting feature is that the Chebbie/GMC is one of the few Automatics that can be towed with four wheels behind an RV.... and you'd be surprised how many folks actually do that.

The downside is that the Autotrac is extremely fragile in serious off-road use. I mentioned "extremely," right? :rofl:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I was just poking fun Ernie. In all honesty, that system actually sounds pretty sweet... But it's my belief that the more features you have, the more parts there are to break :p Did I hear something about extremely fragile? [confused]

polarbear said:
The downside is that the Autotrac is extremely fragile
Ah yes, I did see somethin' like that :nana:

I lock my hubs in occasionally (still in 2WD though) just to keep the axle lubricated and working properly. Every once and a while is good enough.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts