Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4x4 AOD?

FTF'er

Was the old AOD ever used in a small block Windsor 4x4 from the factory? What would it take to put a manual shift aluminum transfer case on a 2wd AOD? Would the t-case be slip yoke or fixed yoke?

Why do I ask? I have my '97 Ranger with a 5.0 and an AOD, but it is 2wd. I'm wanting 4x4. The plan is to bolt a t-case to my AOD and then solid axle swap the front with a D44 from a '75 F100 that is laying in the yard.

Thoughts and opinions?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I do believe the AOD came in 4x4 models. But it will not be possible to just strap a t-case on the back. The output shaft on the transmission is different between a 4x2 and a 4x4 model. Only way to change the output shaft is to pretty much completely disassemble the trans, since it's one of the last parts out.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
As Chris said, the output shaft is longer (I believe) on 2wd's. If I were you, I'd scrap the AOD (mainly because most tcases behind the AOD weren't manual) idea and go with an E4OD and tcase from behind a 351...then all you should have to worry about is mounting, cross members and dshaft.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
As Chris said, the output shaft is longer (I believe) on 2wd's. If I were you, I'd scrap the AOD (mainly because most tcases behind the AOD weren't manual) idea and go with an E4OD and tcase from behind a 351...then all you should have to worry about is mounting, cross members and dshaft.
Might be tough to stuff an e4od PLUS tcase into a ranger. I've heard the e4od is one of the biggest damned trans' Ford ever put out.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
yea skank one of em... ish....

But heck if you can stuff a 460 c6 and 205 into a ranger im sure you can get a e40d and a BW1356 into one... :)

exactly...would definitely take some rearranging/modding/fabbing...but definitely doable.

FTF'er
Is the E4OD computer controlled?

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
.....im hopin the 97' ranger was a typo.....a ranger w a 5.0 wld b a helluva ranger

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Have you looked into what trans/t-case were used in the Explorers/Mountaineers with the 302?

Danged if I can remember this morning...but I'm thinking it was an all-wheel drive t-case, maybe with the 5R55E? Pretty sure it was an electronic trans, though...not sure if that's something you'd want to look at or not.

FTF'er

Ford Truck Articles