Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4wd vs 2wd

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Where do the differences lie between the two header wise?

Fellro

Staff member
Typically the frame width was the driving factor about how they were routed. I know my 75 F250 4x4 had the header pass around the driver side motor mount, two tubes over, two under. The frame cross member was not under the motor at all, while a 2wd is. Steering linkage also is more out of the way on 4wd vs 2wd has the linkage right at the back of the cross member.

Fellro

Staff member
I would think if you are starting with a 2wd frame you should be able to. The relationship of the motor mounts to the head will remain the same, as well as the relationship to the frame rails to the heads.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I plan to cut the orignal cross member for clearance, either build or go with original perches. I realized yesterday that the mid 80's F-Series uses bolt in perches so I might be able to utilize them.

Fellro

Staff member
They bolt to the back of the cross member though.
351W frame
351W_frame.JPG

460 frame
460_frame.JPG

On the 80's and 90's trucks, there is no difference on the perches between 2wd and 4wd. The driver side actually is combination bolted and riveted.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts