Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

460 hop up

The rebuilt 460 in my 87 F-250 4x4 will be out of warranty in 2 months and then I'd like to add more power. She's CA emmissions with no cats from the factory, has a Holley 4bbl and someone added 2 1/2" dual tailpipes and a 2 pipe in/out muffler along the way. I don't have any smog police here so the only limitation is she's a tow vehicle so good low end is needed. Ideas?

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Long tubes, nice intake and better carb. Unless you wanna get a cam or something like that.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
For a all ready healthy FO'sixy I'd just go with a mild cam headers better Ignition..
If you want to bust a wheelie then big cam headers After market heads bigger carb and upgraded Gears... to name the tip of the Ice berg :D

What I"m looking for is more 800-4600 power. Budget says $2K or so.
The good is the 460 is .040 over forged pistons and crank (Eagle) and is full of ARP bolts and studs, Manley severe duty in the heads, Crane except for cam in the valve train and that includes the timing chain. Compression is 8.5 or so. She's 4.10 geared C-6 shifted.
The bad is it has ALL the CA emissions stuff, and considering the stock cam was re-used thats another thing. It's cold- blooded untill warmed up, throttle response is OK but I've had better. Runs out of breath around 4200 rpm and on the bottom she's strong(for stock) but considering my Ch*** K-10 plow truck with 3.08's and a 350 with just headers and carter carb can out run it anytime/speed is not good.
Do you run a split pattern cam with more on the exhaust than intake? Is the stock intake ok or is a Stealth or performer worth anything on low end? All the headers I see are small tube shorties and smaller tube long ones, what tube diameter should I be looking for? Ign re-curve? what Carb? all this stuff
is more to my needs. Thank You!

Lose the emissions crap if you can and I bet you free up some ponies. I've gotta Weiand stealth intake on my 460 and she does well with it. Good grunt from a stand still and the damn thing always wants to chirp my 36s on pavement. I'm running long tube fender well exit headers with old flowmaster 40s on the outside of the frame coming out the front of the rear tires. Hope that helps.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I would get an RV cam for it and some kind of aftermarket intake for it along with either a new holley or edelbrock if your not the best at tunin carbs. Also lose the emissions crap cause it kills power.

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
ive had both the performer and stealth on my 60 and the stealth stayed and the performer went to the swapmeat along with the 750 double pumper carb. but the vac sec 750 stayed. the dp carb worked better but just used to much gas for daily drivin

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts