Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4.6 liter timing chain's job

Take your time and don't rush!! Mark the chains before removal. Are doing everything under the timing cover like guides and tensioners? My tensioners were stubborn going back in so I ended up getting new ones. There was a cool ford training video on you tube. Look up ford 4.6 timing chain on you tube hopefully they haven't pulled it. There should be gold links on each chain but if there are not you just hold the chain out and mark the links on each end. Line the links or marks up on the slots or dots on the crank gear and dots on the cam gears. Once you get it all set up remember the marks don't line back up after you rotate it over but as long as it doesn't stop your good!! Maybe some other will add to this I don't remember everything it's been a while since I did mine. I will look and see if I still have pics from when I did it.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
If you find the video on youtube, you can post the link in this thread for other people who may trip over the thread!

Ryan

Thank you for your advice. I also found step by step instructions at auto zone .com. All you do is create account,enter vehical type and year and go to repair guides. I will also try to learn how to link how to videos, that I see in the future.

Sorry the pics didnt work i will try to learn how to attach files someday. I am glad the video helped. Hopefully you only have to replace the chains once! it gets easier the more jobs you do it, unfortunately i had to do my heads twice but i found out my problem was a worn out bottom end causing to low oil pressure at an idle. I found it much easier the second time around but like i said hopefully you wont be doing this again for the lifetime of the vehicle.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts