Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4.0 SOHC tensioner work...what's Ford's proc.?

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
Hey Ford mechs...

I was just wondering how you guys went about doing the rear tensioner work on the 4.0L SOHC engines. I was always under the impression that the engine needed to be removed from the vehicle, but another post seemed to state that you could do the work via removing the intakes. Is this possible?

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Hey Ford mechs...

I was just wondering how you guys went about doing the rear tensioner work on the 4.0L SOHC engines. I was always under the impression that the engine needed to be removed from the vehicle, but another post seemed to state that you could do the work via removing the intakes. Is this possible?

You can change the front tensioner by pulling the intake and the rear one gets changed easily, just need to remove right front wheel and inner splash guard, then unscrew it from the head.

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
We are talkin' about chain tensioners right? For the timing chains? Guess I shoulda specified that...

Dave if you can sorta relate it to me...how's it mounted to the rear of the head? As bad of a job as the spark plugs were, I imagine any head work (or tensioner work from that angle) would suck as well.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
We are talkin' about chain tensioners right? For the timing chains? Guess I shoulda specified that...

Dave if you can sorta relate it to me...how's it mounted to the rear of the head? As bad of a job as the spark plugs were, I imagine any head work (or tensioner work from that angle) would suck as well.

Correct the chain tensioners can be changed without major surgery, when you did your plugs you may have noticed a 1" ish black hex headed bolt or plug at the rear of the right side head, that is the tensioner itself, it just unscrews out and has a plundger on the end, now there is also what we call cassetts that go inside the engine/head these are the guides for the chain to ride on. It's kind of hard to explain without showing you. I could email the procedure to you if you want to see pics. Hope this helps some.

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
I'd appreciate it very much Dave. My email is on it's way via PM.

What all needs to be replaced on the old SOHC engines to bring them up to the new standard in terms of oil getting to the rear timing chain to keep it lubed up properly?

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I'd appreciate it very much Dave. My email is on it's way via PM.

What all needs to be replaced on the old SOHC engines to bring them up to the new standard in terms of oil getting to the rear timing chain to keep it lubed up properly?

The rear chain is not usually a problem, the front one is the only revised unit.

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
Well jeez...what a confused, lost sole I am.

What's required in terms of parts and labor to do the job that would have been done in the recall? I think it may be a bit late to save my tensioner (or is that even the part that gets de-lubed?).

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Well jeez...what a confused, lost sole I am.

What's required in terms of parts and labor to do the job that would have been done in the recall? I think it may be a bit late to save my tensioner (or is that even the part that gets de-lubed?).

Ford sells a kit for the front tensioner it includes a new tensioner, oil restrictor,and some intake gaskets. Heres the part # from the recall

Part Number Description Quantity
YL2Z-9E473-AA Intake Manifold Gasket and Camshaft Chain
Tensioner Kit 1 kit per vehicle

This should resolve any excessive chain rattle noise that you may have.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts